Tying Spade End Hooks by Hand

Morespiders

Reaction score
The art of tying a spade is once its tied, is pulling the turns upto the spade, if its easy it wrong, many a time ive pushed the spade through my thumbnail trying to push it up, these days i use my tackle box lid or something similar.
I also always do ten turns on 12s-8s spades, 6-7 on smaller ones

goldenboy55

Reaction score
OK further ..... I went out and bought the "matchman" hook tyer and have found it very simple and straightforward to use. I havent used the results yet but they seem very secure.
Is it merely some snob value in being able to tie your own hooks by hand? or is it genuinely better? Either way, in my case, its moot as I am unable to tie my own hooks by hand!
If they prove successful in catching fish then I will be back to recommend the item, I will say if you are thinking of buying one then shop around because the prices vary a great deal, I bought mine on ebay for £.2.35 free p&p!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I have sat for ages today trying to tie my hooks by hand using the Snell Knot, i have sat in front of the PC trying to copy how Roy Marlow does it, and i can not for the life of me get it to work.

Any ideas what it is i may be doing wrong ?

99% of the time when trying to pull the tag end to tighten up the coils i find that they just unravel or the Knot itself is incorrect, gave up in the end.

I usually find that after a few goes at tying a Knot i generally get the hang of it and i just have to work on Speed and neatness, but this Bloody Snell knot is doing my nut reet in.

Goldenboy55, i regularly use the Matchman Hook Tyer and find it a great acquisition to my knot tying armoury.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Well with the aid of a Stick and some dead Reed, JK managed to demonstrate to me the art of tying the Snell Knot.

I must say, that even though i didn't catch anything on the stick, i was happily relaxed knowing that if i had of done the reed would have snapped before the knot gave way :D

On JK's advice i have tried tying the Snell Knot using some String and a Pencil, and i must say i found it relatively easy to do and managed to get it spot on after just a couple of tries.

Now all i have got to do is apply this to a small hook and fishing line.

Thank you JK for your informative and very creative lessons, i did appreciate it.