Finding the fish

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What a lovely stretch of river Jason, it makes my mouth water just looking at the pictures and such a nice variety of fish too. It looks like a float fishing paradise with lots of features to fish to and such places are what makes this fishing lark such a wonderful pastime.

Nice article Jason, it made my day looking at that, thank you, 'bostin' as our black country friends say.

W

Welsh Goff

Jason what a read brilliant, and that chubby swim mmmmmm you lucky man.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice one Jason, I never thought the Thames could look anything like this. And a good bit of planning and thought gone into your'e fishing aswell.

J

jason fisher

and when jeff and mark wintle were falling over fences and down holes in the bank on their fish in they were only about 1/4 of a mile from that very swim.
it always amazes me what graham can make of my disjointed ramblings and a few photos.

T

The Monk

really good article that mate, well done, excellent photos too

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jason,
Excellent read, but still trying to understand why we got sent on a wild fish chase (a mile walk)on the overgrown, fishless Alliance water rather than the fishy paradise of the ODAA water. We did ask for info prior to the event but only got some afterwards...The Thames remains one of my favourite waters yet the bit we ended up on was the worst bit I have ever fished (partly cos we were knackered walking). Fortunately, I revisited the Thames 2 weeks ago and had a much better day, see next week's WWA, and you'll see what I mean. I know there are good swims on the Alliance water but we needed some accurate information.

J

jason fisher

there are better fish on the alliance water, that barbel came from the alliance water, as did a hell of a lot of other stuff.
you were on the best bit believe me, if i hadn't split up from my wife there would have been 2 more parts to this, the barbel was from part 4 this article is an amalgamation of parts 1 and 2. unfortunately part 3 will never now be written because i won't be going back to the swim to get the photos i need to do it.part 3 is based on the alliance water i might still rewrite part 4 i've got most of the stuff i need for it, it just needs rewording to make it into a stand alone article, then you'll see what the alliance stretch has in it.
at the moment i'm not in a frame of mind for writing though unfortunately.

L

Les Clark

Jason, Good article mate,well done,it may even persuade Ron to come down south and have a crack!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Nice Article Jason. Yes I have fished the Thames and had a few decent chub and one barbel out of it when I lived in Warwick.

Problem these days is that I have so much River fishing in my doorstep, driving over 150 miles is a very long way.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jason, good article. I knew reading it there'd be a friendly grumble from the fish-in attendees on the Alliance water!

Baz - the Thames is very scenic and just as beautiful as most other rivers! Not as nice as Ron's tidal Trent though?

Jason - sorry about the personal issues but you know this stretch better than anyone so try to get the writing done. We'd all love to read it so if I can help by taking some snaps with your guidance then let me know. I know we both work shifts and you're up t'other end of the country but I'm 10 minutes away from here so....

J

jason fisher

the winter part needs snaps from one particular swim on the alliance water, which to be honest i think i would have to take to get the correct place, but having said that, there might be life in it yet.
but not for a while.

i have ideas for the last part which will show just what can be caught from that alliance water that you lads went to fish.
without having to come back down to get the photos.

J

jason fisher

as for this article, there are some truly beautiful stretches of river around oxford, if i could have one place for the rest of my life that are would be it. i know i say the thames is only a stream and it doesn't hold the majesty of the tidal trent which for sheer awe it doesn't, but for beautiful scenic surroundings you would have to go a long way to beat that area.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only part of the Thames I have seen is where they have the boat race, big wide open places, nothing like what is on youre photo's Jase. That is why I was so surprised.

J

jason fisher

the boat race is london those pics are in oxofrdshire, it's a totally different river you can sit underneath buzzards and red kites watching kingfishers while you fish there, which you can't do once the soul is taken out of it by london.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Our souls in London? Say it quick and you'll get what I mean!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one Jason. I really enjoyed the read.

Like Mark, I was a little disappointed with the section that we ended up fishing, but I will definitely make the trip back there one day soon.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jason - this may well be uninvited but time to bring it back up near the top again.

Have you got any nearer to writing that winter section yet?

Y

yoggy

Nice one mate,,i"ve never fished the Thames,,it looks great......you look so much younger in the photo than you do in your profile piccy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!