Ozz?s Unwanted Carp Heading for Britain

Chris OSullivan

Reaction score
I say bring em over. Then I can smash my personal best just like everyone else and er.....

Whats a popup?

R

roto fryer 1

according to the australian department of agriculture, fisheries and forestries carp there grow to 60 kg (132 lb) they are disease free, however, they do have the asian tape worm which can jump to other species and has been blamed for killing lots of australian gudgeon.
i have written to a fish scientist to ask whether this could be an issue in the uk

T

Twainy

Its me again! Going on about cost.
I wonder how much it would cost to ensure a fish is not infected with anything?
If it could be garanteed that the fish are "clean", then why not?
Just a long as they are only allowed in purpose built or unstocked fisheries to avoid them becoming resident in "natural" waters.
Having said that, how do fish end up in a small pond in a farmers field, nowhere near any other water?
Do the eggs get transferred via birds bodies or what?
If it can happen with other species, it can happen with Ozzy carp.

B

Big Rik

and how different a species are they to our own carp?
They're not.
So why can't they be stocked in 'natural' waters? (whatever they are)

Mike Kennet

Reaction score
Sad all this ...........
Seems like my boss was right, see the announcement on supafish.com.
Enjoy your Aussie Carp, and the consequences. I'm glad we're out of here.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
What tends to get overlooked in discussions concerning imported carp is that carp are not an indigenous UK species. If we hadn't imported them, we wouldn't have them - it's as simple as that.

As to their country of origin, that's purely academic, surely? Providing they have the all-clear so far as their health is concerned, I don't see that it makes much difference where they come from.

Not that I think we need get overly excited about fish coming from Australia - transport costs will preclude it as a viable option.

The worry, as always, will be illegal carp imports from continental Europe, with all the accompaying implications for the spread of disease and parasites.