Ozz?s Unwanted Carp Heading for Britain

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Is this going to be just another boost to carp fishing?

Or is it the death knell for our other species?

P

Peter (Tackle Tart) Jacobs

Why on earth would we need more Carp in the first place?
Or is it that these are large specimens bigger than those we currently have?
If so, then what does that do to any potential record?
Yet another strain of Carp to duplicate the record books with?

The mind fairly boggles!

J

John Lock

Hey Gringos! We don' wan' no more steenkin' carpses. Keep 'em down under.

L

Les Clark

Peter,You have said it all mate, I cannot understand the reason`s behind it,Echo are trying to stop import`s and yet the CEFAS have got the green light,a bit of a slap in the face, and as you point out ,in year`s to come what are we going to end up with ?
Has thing`s are now, at least in my neck of the wood`s ( Kent),the club`s are domanited by carp,why would we want more ?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

"Shela" & "Bruce" would make a welcome change from"two-tone" etc & his mates.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For crying out loud, the populations of carp in this country are bursting at the seams. What we do need is some judicious culling of our own, never mind the importation of a sub-strain that might have serious consequences for our indigenous species.

This is "asylum seeking" gone mad!!!

P

Peter (Tackle Tart) Jacobs

"Shela" & "Bruce" would make a welcome change from"two-tone" etc.

Nigel, now that is a piece of;
"Fishing Magic" you have brightened up an otherwsie very dreary Dutch afternoon.

R

rob tudor

Having been down under and seen the scale of the carp problem we might as well have a wee in the north sea to raise sea levels for all the difference it will make while the'er at it they might as well send us back our rabbits and sheep and chuck in a few cane toads for good measure.
As for "shela & Bruce" make a change from "pierre & jacques" i suppose.

If they are going to send us some fish how about some Barramundi they'll liven up the fens!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Remember that way back in the late 70s, Richard Walker - doyen of the carp scene himself, warned of the overpopulation of carp, not only in Britain but the world.

I cannot speak for Australia as I have never lived there, but I can speak for Southern Africa where carp have been responsible for the extinction of over 30 species of indigenous fish.

Let's for goodness sake keep a sense of values when we talk about importing foreign species. We don't need them, we don't want them. Although I do like catching zander (and eating them) I think the importation of these fish was a mistake.

Catfish are OK provided they are kept confined in land locked waters.

T

Twainy

Once again its all down to cost.
The average price per head of fish is bound to be less as there are so many of them. When you look at the savings they will make if importing very big carp, it would more than cover the cost of transportation.
Therefore bigger fish = bigger profits.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Twainy that doesn't make sense.

Please explain?

Or perhaps there are people in this country who are prepared to pay to fish for big carp irrespective as to where it has come from and irrespective as to the negative impact such imports might have on the environments of our fisheries.

If this is true then these people are sad.

Bloody sad.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If this goes ahead, big carp will mean very little in this country before long. And that takes the enjoyment out of it.
but we do have to feed the imigrants on something.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I don't know what the problem is! I've ordered twenty million 8oz tins of diced Ozzie carp to be marketed under the PurrFect Cat Food brand. They net 'em, I can 'em and sell 'em...

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There has to be an underlying reason why they're doing this. They won't tell us what it is obviously, they never do, but why would they suddenly decide to import fish from the other side of the world.

Could it be for farming to sell off to those European countries that eat carp or is it the new cod to replace the healthy fish diet for schoolchildren.

Methinks another disaster is looming.

T

Twainy

Ron,
Its simple economics I think?
If a 40lb carp costs say ?2000 from europe, and the cost from Oz is say ?100, there is plenty of room for profit even after transport costs.
If the fish from europe costs ?1000 the price from Oz will be proportionately cheaper although the profit margin is reduced. Its all about cost versus profit.
It would become economically unviable if the european fish were too cheap, as it were.
This might all be total rubbish, its just a thought.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I put to you all a simple question.

Why is it that people in England are prepared to pay such an extortionate amount of money for a mere fish, a fish that does not owe its ancestry to this land, nor its true growth; and by that very fact negates it as a true specimen?

I have seen such fish killed and buried in other countries.

To equate specimen fish with money means lowering such fish to a commodity. It also smacks of profiteering in a totally unethical way.

If this is the future of big fish angling, I want no part of it.

The only sorts of fish I would put a monetary price on are those you pay so much a pound for, which you eat, like cod, or haddock, or smoked salmon.

R

Robert Woods 1

They won't weigh so much after swimming from Austrailia...!!!