Awesome!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Yes Graham how I hate that term too.

I once sat through a boring presentation given by the MD of a company I worked for. He must have used the phrase: "At the end of the day" six times during his spiel.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Consult you dictionary or spell check Baz onld chap.

M

MaNick

Try working for a LARGE (meaning, THE LARGEST!) organisation.

They develop their own language, using acronims etc, then hold huge meetings for the plebs like me and cant understand why no-one knows what the bloody hell they are talking about!...

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

One of the LARGEST motor companies i did some development work for were the same...

They'd ring up and say things like..

"Can you flash the eeeeek"..

(it means re-program an ECU)

drove me round the bend!!..

An ALTERNATOR is an ALTERNATOR, not a bloody AUXILLARY POWER TAKE OF UNIT!, or even worse... "AUPTO UNIT"

ARRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH....

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried to be clever Ron, and made a right enry out of it. (coat time)

F

Frothey

"i hear what you're saying..." but i'm going to ignore it anyway!

C

Coops

Company speak I really hate -

"Heads Up" - a warning of something bad about to happen.

"Work within the MOP (Management Point of View" - defend us from your staff when they moan about something we are clearly doing wrong as a management team.

"Give a Steer" - point you in what you already know is going to be the wrong direction.

"Feedback" - telling you only what we want you to hear, not what you want to know.

"Upward Management" - Your boss giving you the opportunity to tell him what you think, and he then uses that to beat you up for weeks afterwards.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In a nutshell Coops.
The mushroom treatment.
Keep you in the dark, and s**t on you twice a week.

Chris OSullivan

Reaction score
Mine are:

They're havin it

I give you something to cry about

and my worst is:

Gee, that small does that thing medically classify you as a girl?

G

Gary Knowles 2

Music being described as an

"essential anthem!"..........

Ron, what's wrong with 'slabs' ?

Milo

Reaction score
Mine have got to be, the use of 'or' at the end of a sentence, for example, "Are you fishing tomorrow, or?". Either add another option, e.g. "Are you going fishing tomorrow or staying at home?", or forget the 'or' altogether. And the other one, has to be "going forward", as in, "Going forward, we want to be doing <something>".

Ergo

Reaction score
I run a Management Training Company, and the main thing a manager needs to do is communicate effectively. I abhor the use of acronyms as some people won't understand what is being said. The use of the latest buzz phrase is totally pointless as it is likely to go out of fashion just as quickly as it comes in.

A good manager has been given two ears and one mouth, they should be used in those proportions.

As to the other points raised here. The use of words as commas, erm, bascially, well actually. As mentiioned earlier just gives the person thinking time. They are used because people are afraid of silence. They lack confidence! When I start a meeting, people used to mill around or just chat amongst themselves. I enter, sit down, open my case, take out what I need. Then stare at someone. It is surprising how quickly the hubbub dies down.

When I give a lecture, and want to make a point, I say what it is and then shut up. Some people will shuffle around, but that point and the silence means they have got it.

The use of the word is a fashion thing that came from across the pond. They mean yes, and not I agree with everything you say totally. So why do they do it. I see someone mentioned illiteratiion earlier up the thread. While some of this is totally crass, it can be put to good use as an aide memoire.

Ergo's educational energies are never erronious. :D

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Slabs.

Why not call them bream?

Another term I truly despise is "Human Resources" or HR for short.

What's wrong with the good old term: Personnel Manager.

And: "Upside and downside"

What's wrong with advantages and disadvantages?

And there is the "plaintive wail" mainly from women, which is said in a sing song voice. I love Ann Robinson when she takes the piss out of those assoles on "The Weakest Link" with fancy job titles and plaintive sing song voices.

I would love to know where this particular bit of decreptitude came from.

M

MaNick

Human Resources, RON, is used because it's the companies department for dealing with the "PEOPLE", as a resource.
As you are aware, you are just a number, employed to fulfil a role. You are a resource.

Personell, on the other hand, denotes some kind of "human" element, which companies are traditionally moving away from!...

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Why do waters not produce fish these days? Seemingly they "do" them instead, as in "Big Lake's done a thirty," (or more likely, "done a firty.")

In speech, "Nah-a-mean" - which translates as "Do you know what I mean?"

"Awesome" and "At the end of the day" - their usage qualifies as a capital offence, I reckon (if you want to do an "at the end of the day" count that will go off the scale, just watch "Trisha" on daytime TV - go on, do it just the once...

Yes, shedful, lump etc.

Double negatives - "I didn't do nuffink" etc

"I done no more....". What the hell does that mean?

And from my erstwhile career in education, "At the chalkface."

G

Ged

" Wot eva", well that's how it's pronounced! Or even extended to "Yeah, wot eva" And I thought that "What ever" was nondescript.
HR or Human Resources is really "Cannon Fodder"
Where I work we have both Personell Dept and a Humon Resource Dept. Well that's the NHS for you.