Selfish, misguided or just plain stupid

B

Big Rik

so you can say that I had a good day on a midlands stillwater, but not give the lake name?
What about if somebody asks are there any good waters near X location?
Do you answer that there might be, but you can't be specific?

So your advice to posters is not to name any venues?
Bang goes the venues forum then.....

Back to Barneys original point, the people doing this will just move on to the next water once this one has had restrictions put on it.

and Stu's point about rule breaking deserves a response...

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Baz, as a rule I enjoy talking and posting with you on here, but now you're going a little me hush hush, wink wink, nod nod mate!

Scroll right to the top of this page and you'll see a permanent buttong saying 'where to fish'.

ITS WHAT THE SITE DOES!

It's a forum and we share!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Sorry Barney, I may have got the wrong end of the stick with this thread, was the title question for us to answer about you?

Please explain?

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
A problem always has to start somewhere Gary!
MOST clubs have bailiffs to enforce the rules and maintain the status quo.
MOST clubs look to their members to report rule breaking and other problems.
ALL clubs have rule breakers.
Many members freely admit to breaking rules that don't suit them.
What one member sees as a BIG problem another sees as NO problem whatsoever.
However when the action/s of one/several member/s jeopardises everybodies fishing then its time to name and shame the troublemakers to the club comittee.

jp

Reaction score
Has anybody read the first post??

There's no rule breaking mentioned, the question is about night fishing where night fishing is allowed.

As for pics showing black skies, most *no night fishing* venues allow you to stay one hour after sunset and photos taken in these conditions with a flash will often show black skies.

S

sash

"There's no rule breaking mentioned, the question is about night fishing where night fishing is allowed."

There is actually JP - "When that happens everyone else can forget that couple of hour?s discreet fishing after dusk." - unless a couple of discreet hours isn't seen as rule breaking (perhaps stretching?)

M

MaNick

I happen to think that, if night fishing is allowed, and there is no limit to the number of nights that someone can occupy a swim in... then no problem?...

surely, it's up to the contolling club, and it's members comitee to change the rules if people think that the overall fishing for general members will be affected.

jp

Reaction score
There's no substance in dark skies in photos Sash, and no other evidence of rule breaking in Gary's post other than by implication.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
What Gary means is that some anglers are selfish. It's not a matter of them breaking rules but of them knowing when they're not giving other people a chance to fish a favourite swim just because they're camped in it, week after week, often for two days twice a week.

On a big water with lots of good swims it doesn't matter, but on a small water, or short stretch of river, it can be a problem. There are only two realistic answers to it, either ban night fishing altogether, or the selfish anglers get less selfish.

T

The Monk

well, I`ll definately start being less selfish and change swims more regularly

will January be alright
(never did like winter carping anyway)?

S

sash

"either ban night fishing altogether, or the selfish anglers get less selfish"

But we all know from experience that the latter option isn't going to happen Graham unless they themselves are banned.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
True Sash, but if they read threads like this often enough they might just have a flash of conscience.

We can always hope.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Where the monopolisation of swims is a problem, one solution is for members to seek a rule-change at the club/syndicate AGM whereby night fishing is not allowed on, say, Monday nights and Thursday nights (just as an example). It might be argued that this is unfair to those members whose days-off happen to fall on the affected days, but then swim-hogging is also unfair.

T

The Monk

some clubs of course have night fishing booking systems, were by an angler can book nights in advance and is only allowed so many concecutive nights at a time

B

Big Rik

Ringwood have specific rules for nights on rivers.

No bivvies on the river and no more than 24 hours in one swim

Lake night rules are different.
You're allowed 7 days in one swim.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think we are mostly talking cross purposes here.
I am mostly talking of rivers. There is nothing wrong in saying I had a good day on the Stour,Ribble, Dane etc.
But I don't think it's wise to elaborate any further as to where "exactly" where you were.
If somebody wanted to know more information, all they have to do is e-mail you privately.

It is a forum where we share information Stuart. But I honestly think we should be more carefull in what we say.
Again, I am thinking more of rivers.

S

sash

I would have thought that stillwaters would be more prone to illegal netting than rivers Baz?

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I've often thought that if I ran a syndicate I would have standard membership (days only) and a supplementary night ticket (additional payment, which entitled the holder to fish for a maximum of 14 nights. He/she could use their allocation as single nights, two or three day/night sessions, or even as one, long 14 night session if they wanted to. But once their 14 night allocation had been used up, that would be it. No buying of an extra night permit, and no transferring of unused nights from anyone else.

This system wouldn't solve all problems associated with swim-hogging, swim-saving etc. but overall would be fair.

It would only be practical, however, with a smallish syndicate; keeping track of who had fished how many nights would be all but impossible with the average club or association.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Still waters are more prone Sash, but it still gets done on rivers.
Appart from netting, poachers have learned to do without the net, if they are caught with a net by the E.A., that's it they are deffinately poaching, and they can't get out of it.
Some poaching gangs, fish with rod and reel,so if they are caught all they are seemingly doing is illegal fishing.
There are also those who will move fish from water to water. Rods,and bungee rigs and the like.
How did that chap catch his zander and pike recently which was discused on this forum?
Fancy a few people like him about scanning the websites, and there are plenty of them.

Personally I would have night fishing and no closed season. Bums on boxes, eyes on the water and all that.
The E.A. did a report some years ago. Waters that would be targeted by poachers, would be the ones with no night fishing or a closed season.