Selfish, misguided or just plain stupid

G

Gary Knowles 2

I know of a couple of cases where individuals are putting at risk the fishing of many people. In one case anglers are bivvying up on small rivers in search of a couple of known fish. OK, so night fishing is allowed and the persons involved say they aren?t breaking any rules and not harming the fish. The other response is ?I?m not harming anyone else?s fishing?. Well apart from the obvious problem of stitching up of swims long term there is do doubt that they WILL EVENTUALLY affect other anglers. It?s a matter of time before a bailiff comes down at first light to fish a favourite swim and finds a bivvy in it. Follow this with a couple of complaints from other anglers at the next AGM and before you know it night fishing is banned. All the anglers who sensibly fished for a few hours into dark now suffer because of the bloody mindedness of a couple of individuals.

Likewise catch reports on known waters with night fishing bans, with anglers holding fish against black skies. Are they really so naive to think that committee members monitor the press and websites, don?t they realise it?s a matter of time before the bailiffs get together and swoop. When that happens everyone else can forget that couple of hour?s discreet fishing after dusk.

Do these people realise what they are risking for others, or do they really not care as long as they achieve their own goals short term.

Or am I just way off the mark on this one ?

Ken Tarleton 2

Reaction score
Here!Here!
I`ve stopped fishing one stretch of river because a bivvy appeared after a nice double figure barbel came out.He was there for a week,to my knowledge.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

When I lived in Leamington Spa I used to spend a lot of time on the River Leam. In time I got the measure of this little river and had some remarkable catches of chub and roach.

One Saturday I took 14 chub, every one over 4 lbs, best 5 lbs.3 oz.

I happened to mention the catch to a friend of mine. Unfortunately he was know to the Coventry Circus and word got around.

Next weekend there were over 30 cars parked by the Offchurch bridge. In the field, there were TWO bivvies with rods on pods with bite alarms attached.

The little river was lined with anglers.

I've got nothing against anglers who bivvy up because I do it mayself from time to time, but not on a little river like the Leam.

And one of the guys in one of the bivvies was asleep.

The final result of this debacle was that the club lost the fishing on this stretch and although the farmer still let me fish, he fenced most of the river frontage off.

C

Coops

Barney, I don't expect they are even bright enough to have the question of possible consequencies enter their heads. After the event they will whinge like mad and still not see the problem was all theirs. Guaranteed they will see themselves as victims of stupid rules.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Maybe your right Coops. But I've a horrible feeling most know what the long term consequences will be but dont give a sh*t...

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To answer the questions of this thread, I think it starts off as misguided, then goes on to stupidness, then pure blind ignorance and arrogance, of how they are affecting every body else. Pure stupidity.
But it is not only the clubs who can see what is going on by reading a posting

ANTI?S
We now have the Anti?s to think about. Where would they look to find out the most popular areas? The fishing forums of course. All supplied with maps and directions, by thoughtless people.

POACHERS
They must be rubbing their hands at all this valuable information on where to go. And don?t forget, we may have a closed season on rivers, but for the poachers this is the open season. With nobody there to see them, they will be having a field day.
So anybody reading this, take note of what is being said. If you had youre own private stretch of river and wanted to lose youre fish, that?s fine. But don?t lose them for everybody else.

FARMERS
Farmers will soon get annoyed with the amount of extra anglers comeing through his yard at all times of the night. If you don?t believe this, then why have certain farmers re- directed anglers away from their houses. Not only that, but vandalism, yes it does happen. Leaveing gates open, yes it does happen. Useing a farmers yard to park, and then go fishing elsewere. They will get fed up with it, and put a stop to it eventually.
And then one day, the farmer thinks, hang on a minuet, I have never seen so many anglers fishing this part of the river before, it must be a good stretch, I think I?ll auction it off to the highest bidder, probably a syndicate.
Do you think that can?t happen? Well it can and it did.

UNDESIRABLES
These are the couldn?t care less brigade who don?t posess any licence what so ever. Litter louts, campers, drug taking. All with a rod or two in their hands. Then the wrecking and burning out of anglers cars begins, smashed windows, items stolen from youre car. Anglers being beaten up and robbed.

All the above is what I have witnessed over the years.
I could add more to this list, If you want to lose a fishery, then this is the way to go about it. By giving that little bit more information away every time you post. But what the heck, I?m entitled to say what like and stuff the consequences.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here are just two things I experienced while sat fishing on the river, both last year.

Three blokes and a kid, Gypsy types. First question was, any barbel in here mate? To which I said I don?t think so, its mainly roach.
They then stood back from me, but I could hear what they were whispering about. One of them said -: we could do this place easily.

Another situation, same river.
I was approached by a bloke who told me he had his own fishery, and was looking to stock it with some more fish, again he wanted to know if there were barbel in this particular stretch.
He actually told me he got his info off websites, on where to go.

I really do find it hard to understand the thinking behind people who give so much information away on an open forum.
Bugger it, I do really, it's for there own self esteem. That is my honest opinion.

T

The Monk

I suppose I`ve been guity of swim hogging over the years, sometimes occupying swims for months or between us a full season, suppose its a bit selfish really. Dont at the Carp Society`s Horeshoe Lake in Lechlade, they implimented a rule that said you had to change swim every 7 days. I must admit, I did find this sort of fishing a bit of a pain at times, especially if you managed to get the carp going about 4 days in, but it did however work quite well and gave everyone a fair crack of the whip

jp

Reaction score
I've got no desire to stay all night on the river, a couple of hours or more into darkness is about right for me, but if night fishing is allowed then it's allowed, simple as that.

Ideally you should have a rule restricting the number of nights that can be fished in the same swim, or maybe just ban bivvies on rivers.

T

The Monk

ban bivvies, when is a bivvy not a bivvy

when its a brolli with storm sides

I`ve spent a full season on waters with bivvy bans, in fact I prefer stormsides in decent weather,

numbers of night restriction is the best bet

R

roto fryer 1

baz lets just not talk about anything at all then nobody will know anything about fishing

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

correct roto ----Its like the people that criticise Angling Times and Anglers Mail all the time --without them, "angling" would be much poorer

M

Malcolm Bason

"I really do find it hard to understand the thinking behind people who give so much information away on an open forum.
Bugger it, I do really, it's for there own self esteem. That is my honest opinion."

Can't agree with that Baz!

I, along with many others, learn so much from fellow posters on here, and its wonderful in my humble opinion, to share knowledge and help our fellow anglers.

M

Mel Crighton

Gary had a problem similar to what you describe but it was more or a sydicated scam were a few senior members used to hog the best swims, it used to work something like this the angler on the swim waited for the next syndicatee to arrive then he would pack up and the new arrival would set up this would go on through out the summer months, then they would move on to a new water and it would continue, this was voiced at a meeting by several members, myself included the response they are doing nothing wrong, my reply to that .........

shove yer card up your *$/8@

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Gary's word "When that happens everyone else can forget that couple of hour?s discreet fishing after dusk"

so it ok to break the rules a little then?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Roto, Ed, Malcolm.

Please read this carefully -:

There is nothing wrong in anybody saying, I went to such a water and had a good day.
I have e-mailed people, and people have e-mailed me, asking for help. I am always willing to do so, and arrange to go fishing with them.
What I will not do, is give exact locations away,on an open forum, and neither should anyone else. I have seen first hand the damage this can do.

Malcolm.
Sharing knowledge on this forum is great I agree. But that is not what we are talking about.
Roto.
Nothing wrong in talking of baits, tactics, rigs, etc.

To say don't lets talk about anything then is silly.

What I and others are saying is to stop posting "exact locations on a open forum", What is so hard to understand about that?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last year a person posted about a certain water being full of bream, and gave the exact location on another forum.
I bitterly complained about it, to no avail.
Two weeks later this same water was netted by poachers.
Is that clearer for you?