landing net

blankmeister

Reaction score
I'm going to have to replace my old net which is beginning to fall to bits. I fish mostly mixed commercials with carp up to mid doubles. My old one is a spoon type, but I have seen some that are "D" shaped. Is there any advantage in these for my sort of fishing?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
There's no great advantage to the shape when it comes down to it really.

The Mesh itself is probably more important.

A lot of Match fishermen use a very fine mesh now when they use hair rigs to stop it getting caught up in the net so often.

A good quality Spoon shaped net is all you need really for general coarse fishing, obviously size depends on the size of fish you are likely to encounter.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have a fox match rubber net, it's D shaped, about 20" across the flat and works like it was designed to be a landing net. Dries relatively quickly but it ain't shake dry, like wot I fort it woz gonna be!

blankmeister

Reaction score
I have the Middy rubberised ones, nice and big but I find the depth of the net too shallow and have had fish nearly jump out.

I've never been sure about the rubberised nets. Do they have a solid base rather than net? I imagine they would act like a bucket and give a lot of resistance dragging it through the water.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
All mesh, no different to normal mesh nets. Idea behind them was to reduce slime from the fish and make them easier to dry. I've certainly had plenty of bream in mine with a few tench. Still slimey but they do clean easier with less smell. I also find that they don't frey when tangled up in bankside vegitaion. Hooks can be removed better from the mesh.

dezza

Reaction score
In my opinion the best shape for a landing net is round, or slightly pear shaped. No matter how a fish presents itself for netting, a round net will do the job