Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: landing net

Default landing net

I'm going to have to replace my old net which is beginning to fall to bits. I fish mostly mixed commercials with carp up to mid doubles. My old one is a spoon type, but I have seen some that are "D" shaped. Is there any advantage in these for my sort of fishing?

There's no great advantage to the shape when it comes down to it really.

The Mesh itself is probably more important.

A lot of Match fishermen use a very fine mesh now when they use hair rigs to stop it getting caught up in the net so often.

A good quality Spoon shaped net is all you need really for general coarse fishing, obviously size depends on the size of fish you are likely to encounter.

I have a fox match rubber net, it's D shaped, about 20" across the flat and works like it was designed to be a landing net. Dries relatively quickly but it ain't shake dry, like wot I fort it woz gonna be!

Thanks for replies. Gonna go for the Daiwa Shield Spoon, it's sort of D shaped anyway

Quote Originally Posted by blankmeister View Post
    Thanks for replies. Gonna go for the Daiwa Shield Spoon, it's sort of D shaped anyway

Let me know what you think of it - I'm goign to need a new net soon
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Paul of Sheffield View Post
    Let me know what you think of it - I'm goign to need a new net soon
    Got the net today. Looks good, light but strong. It's the 55mm one, plenty big enough for my type of fishing. Looking forward to trying it out

I have the Middy rubberised ones, nice and big but I find the depth of the net too shallow and have had fish nearly jump out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Face (As Per Ed) View Post
    I have the Middy rubberised ones, nice and big but I find the depth of the net too shallow and have had fish nearly jump out.
    I've never been sure about the rubberised nets. Do they have a solid base rather than net? I imagine they would act like a bucket and give a lot of resistance dragging it through the water.

All mesh, no different to normal mesh nets. Idea behind them was to reduce slime from the fish and make them easier to dry. I've certainly had plenty of bream in mine with a few tench. Still slimey but they do clean easier with less smell. I also find that they don't frey when tangled up in bankside vegitaion. Hooks can be removed better from the mesh.

Thanks Wobbly Face. I obviously had completely the wrong idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast