Passion for Angling on DVD!

Rooster

Reaction score
Got a flyer from Hugh Miles this morning telling me it DVD of the series now availabe. ?34.50.

'Presented in a two DVD pack with souvenir photographs from the series. Also included are clips from 'Caught in Time' the latest collaboration between Chris Yates and Hugh Miles'

No sign of any outtakes or anything though

Rooster

Reaction score
I must admit I'm a bit gutted because I only bought the VHS version a few weeks ago! It would have been nice if something was mentioned on their website saying that a DVD version was 'coming soon'. Oh well.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't think Caught in Time, was nearly as good as Passion for Angling.

Rooster

Reaction score
I've got to agree with you Baz. I still like it but it's simply not as good as Passion. I just felt that I'd seen it all before in Passion and frankly it was perfect the first time round. Caught in Time talks about 're-inventing the fishing diary' but it does nothing of the sort. It's just Chris fishing like he normally does! I have enourmous respect for Chris Yates and Hugh Miles but it just didn't do it for me as I felt like they were treading over old ground.

Hopefully the next films in the series will be a bit more interesting.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They can try as hard as they like, but I don't think any other films they make will be any where near as good as Passion.
I'd probably still buy them though. just on the offchance of another classic.

S

Steve King

Just in time - my video recorder is throwing a wobbly and I reckon it's time to upgrade to a DVD!

Blunderer

Reaction score
I've seen a Chris Yates video called The Secret Carp and it was pretty poor, low-budget stuff.

"Passion for Angling" is the ultimate angling on TV. It made me fill up with tears when I first watched it!

There will be something just as good, though, at some point. All it will take is a big budget from one of the terrestial channels. Maybe it could include DECENT underwater footage - something which has never been done.

S

Shrek

Has anyone ever seen Arthur Ransome's Rod & Line on video? Got a copy of it the other week and it makes for great viewing. Sir Michael Hordern takes the part of Arthur Ransome and plays the part very well.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, so did a couple of friends I lent it to as well.

W

Wolfman Woody

Tell you what Barry, if this guy copied the videos onto DVD, he just broke the law!!!

I have the video AND THE BOOK and the video is personally signed by Bob James. That could add a fair bit of wedge to the value, or not depending on the outcome of the ACA inquiry.

Darrell Smith

Reaction score
Hey Blunderer I guess you havent seen State of the Art Underwater Carp Fishing DVD presented by Danny Fairbrass, where they actually show carp being caught, what happens to your bait when it hits the bottom etc. Its made by/for KORDA

Rooster

Reaction score
Blunderer, I bought 'The Secret Carp' video on eBay and I've got to say that I wasn't overly impressed either. The first 20 or so minutes almost sent me to sleep.

One of the few things that intrigued me was when he was talking about floating putty . He said it was no longer available and I wonderered whether this was true? It looked like the perfect thing for bit of surface fishing.

Passion for Angling is to my generation what Mr Crabtree was to the older (sorry, 'more experienced') generation. It was what inspired me to take up fishing and I'll never forget the message that "there's more to fishing than catching fish... "

Rooster

Reaction score
It must be lunchtime! The forum has suddenly risen from its slumber!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or rained off.

I've just watched the bumper 2lb roach catch by Bob James on Passion again. Does anybody know what reel he was useing? and number.It looks like a shimano but I'm not sure.

A bit of gossip here, but I did read somewhere that C.Yates had Bob chucked out of his exclusive club for vintage tackle users, because he was useing modern rods and reels.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Darrell
I have seen the Korda video, parts one and two and whilst it was interesting, it wasn't exactly brilliant.
I think the underwater thing could be done much better with a serious budget, ie several high quality cameras, computer enhancement etc.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Rooster
Floating putty is still available. I don't know who makes it but I mate of mine buys it.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Baz
Chris Yates and Bob James fell out badly over a personal issue. They haven't spoken since.
Most people know what it was but I don't want to put it on here.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Blunderer - that's a shame. Didn't know that they had or even could fall out, they seemed like good mates.

Rooster - where's the DVD version available from?