stick float help

nicky

Reaction score
going light stick float fishing tomorrow and havent been since the winter, last couple of times i was having problems with the line below the float somehow getting caught around the tip of the float, i was fishing shirt button style with no4's and no8's does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it as i dont want a repeat performance tomorrow. cheers

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
going light stick float fishing tomorrow and havent been since the winter, last couple of times i was having problems with the line below the float somehow getting caught around the tip of the float, i was fishing shirt button style with no4's and no8's does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it as i dont want a repeat performance tomorrow. cheers

Surely that must be happening when you cast out ?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Stick floats are little use for overhead casting - a side-sweep does the trick. It's a short-range method, so if you need to cast further, you really need a different shotting pattern.

Most stick float fishing is with the aim of getting perfect presentation as close to directly downstream of your position as possible, and feeding fish into the trotting line, holding back the float to induce takes.

Barry Edney

Reaction score
If it is happening on the cast then I think it's just down to having a really steady hand and cast out gently. Leave about 2ft of line between rod-tip and float and hold the hook in hand, letting go at just the right moment.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have always been taught to use a longer bottom rubber that extends below the float. This will cure your problem.

dezza

Reaction score
I cast a stick float in two ways. On big wide rivers like the Trent I cast out with a side swipe well past where I want the tackle to run down and feather the tackle down onto the water so that it lands in a perfectly straight line. Then wind the tackle back until it is in line with the swim.

With stick floats it pays not to fish too far out.

The other way on smaller rivers like the Idle, I wind in the tackle after the trot and bring it to hand. After checking the bait,rebaiting where necessary, I hold the tackle in my left hand, let go, and allow it to swing it out, checking the line carefully so that all lands on the water in a straight line.

On small rivers I like to use my centrepin reel, on big rivers, a fixed spool or closed face reel if it is windy.

Keep practicing; long trotting is one of the most enjoyable and productive methods of fishing ever invented. Your are hunting your fish too, whilst with legering, most times you are setting traps.

Oh and by the way, if you suspect a bite even though your bait is unmarked, change it.

Last edited: