Cash in the Attic - or bookshelf

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
There are still plenty of good angling books around if you hunt the bookshops diligently.

I have a big angling library, with a few tomes well over the £250 mark. But most prized of all are Gravel Pit Angling and Come Fishing With Me by my old mate Pete Stone, GPA signed by him. I don't care what they're worth - my kids can sell them but not while I breathe.

dezza

Reaction score
Actually people I'm after the following to complete my collection of Walker books.

"Still Water Angling" - first edition 1953 by Richard Walker in absolute mint condition, no finger marks, no foxing, no scuffing, no damage to dust jacket, and spine to be completetly intact, like new!

£10 awaits the lucky owner of this book. I will pay postage too.

Don't all contact me at once.

dezza

Reaction score
Yes, I know it's a wind-up.

I've got a second edition!

I am after the very first edition - signed of course. The one with the chapter on trout. The one with the photo of the huge Eastern European carp and the 5lb Dutch "roach" which was in fact a hybrid.

I know where such a copy exists, but the owner wants £2k or it!!

The same owner also has a first day signed copy of "Where the Bright Waters Meet" by Plunkett-Greene, and, wait for it, a first review edition of "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien!

WTBWM must be worth £5k in anyone's money, The Hobbit? Well at a top auction house in London it might achieve a million!!

I'll give you a clue, the owner is not British and the two books reside south of the equator.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've got a second edition!
I am after the very first edition - signed of course.
Get it Ron, send it to me, I'll alter the inner leaf to read 1st edition etc., and I'll sign it for you. Frank has the first production version of the MkIV carp rod and it had no official transfer so **** personally signed it for him, I can copy that! ;)

"To my best mate, Ron.
Best fishes - ****."

How's that?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I am after the very first edition - signed of course. The one with the chapter on trout. The one with the photo of the huge Eastern European carp and the 5lb Dutch "roach" which was in fact a hybrid.
I have that one Ron. And signed. Unfortunately not by the author though :)

dezza

Reaction score
I have that one Ron. And signed. Unfortunately not by the author though :)

At auction and depending on the condition, that should be worth £500.00. It would be worth more if it had Walker's signature.

By the way, when you ask an author to sign a book, DO NOT ask he or she to write a message to the owner. It actually reduces the price. A simple signature is all that is required.

However if the message is to a notable person such as Royalty, the aristocracy, or a person of note (not pop singers or footballers), then this could increase the value of the book considerably.

However seeing that most pop singers and footballers can't read, I doubt if the above scenario would ever present itself.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
The new CSG book 'Chevin' is currently doing the rounds for signatures (did I mention the new book before:)) and although I'm sure my signature wont add much to the value there are about 30-40 copies (all numbered) that I and a few other contributors will not be signing :mad:

I recently saw a copy of the first CSG book 'Chub' being advertised at over £400 on a web site. I did hear someone had bought over 200 at £2-50 from the publishers when they thought they wouldn't sell.

I have a BV Freshwater Fishing, picked up for £2 from a market stall. I had to haggle though as the guy wanted £3.