Cash in the Attic - or bookshelf

dezza

Reaction score
Whilst I was staying with The Monk recently I noticed that he had some rather nice angling books displayed on his bookshelves. This set me wondering how much value a few of you might have throwing around in terms of angling books.

Many angling books are indeed very valuable as there are a lot of collectors out there. But what makes a book valuable.

First of all the age.

Second - is it a first edition?

Third - The condition of the book.

In fact it's all about rarity, not about the books contents. Some angling books are indeed boring and useless but can command huge sums. I spotted a book in a shop in Wiltshire some years ago which was marked up at £4,000, but I wouldn't have ever bought it.

Recent books that are now commanding high prices are any first editions of Tony Miles works; first editions of "Redmire Pool" by Kevin Clifford and Len Arbury, any first edition of "The Secret Carp" by Chris Yates. "The Fighting Barbel" by Peter Wheat and last but not least, the quarter bound leather, signed, limited edition of "Richard Walker - Biography of an Angling Legend" by Barrie Rickards.

If you have first editions you had better adjust your home insurance. Some of the books you may have spent a few pounds on, might now be worth thousands.

The Monk

Reaction score
Its not just angling books either, prior to the recent reprints of the entire New Naturalist collection (Harper-Colins), some of the short print editions were going for over 1K, indeed I picked one up in a charity shop last last for 2 quid, its was on the collectors market for 350.00 quid

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
The last CSG book (our first) is now being sold for silly prices, bearing in mind the publisher sold them off @ £2-50 each. I recently saw over £400 being asked by one on-line seller.

The 2nd CSG book 'Chevin' will be launched Saturday 18th September, info HERE

For several years now I have asked my local city/county library to order in most of the angling books that interest me, eventually little asked for books are usually sold off. Not only is it a good source of cheap books but if enough anglers country-wide ask it pushes up sales. Well I ask you, who else but a handful of weird chub anglers in Co Durham is going to ask for "CHUB" by the CSG or even "My Way with Chub" by TM :)

Last edited:

r1paul

Reaction score
Iv`e just been sorting out a pile of old fishing related letters , mags ect, and found two "Angling Mail Annuals " 79& 83 , not worth money I know but worth a read .
I also found a 1986 catalogue from " The Tackle Shop " ( Neville Fickling ) Gainsborough ,flicking through this I came across this little gem : " The Specimen Hunters Overwrap " , not too sure if it was the one that I had but I think that it is as me and my fishing buddy at the time did buy a lot of gear from there .
For the younger tackle tarts of today I will explain , you had a brolly which you put up upright , then you put what felt like a cwt ( sorry, 25 kilos ) of tarpaulin over the top , peg it down and hope for the best , not forgetting that you had a centre pole that you had to try and remember when you had that run in the middle of the night and not knock the sodding lot down :D .
When you packed up , you just prayed that it hadn`t rained or that " Specimen Hunters Overwrap " weighed twice as much :eek: :w

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

P.S. I also found a " Credit Voucher " for £6-30pence :mad: erm , I wonder what thats worth today :eek: :D

Last edited:

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Les

There was a discussion about bivvies at Boundary Park, and my thoughts turned back to a 'Send Marketing Brollicamp' that I used to own. Much like the Overwrap you mention, but I recollect that condensation used to stream down the insides, to the extent that some sort of internal guttering should have been provided..........

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Some books that you probably chucked out years ago can be collectable

I seem to remember seeing one of those Sunday afternoon teatime TV shows aimed at the elderly and their greedy offspring who can't wait for them to turn their toes up so they can sell of the old dear stuff that some comic annuals sold for silly prices.

Early Beanos and Dandys were worth a bit and some Rupert the Bear ones went for £100s

The Monk

Reaction score
Jack Hiltons Quest for Carp and Kevin Cliffords Redmire Pool both mint, both first editions, 1K if anyone is interested or will swap for a ESP LTD M-1000

flightliner

Reaction score
Iv`e just been sorting out a pile of old fishing related letters , mags ect, and found two "Angling Mail Annuals " 79& 83 , not worth money I know but worth a read .
I also found a 1986 catalogue from " The Tackle Shop " ( Neville Fickling ) Gainsborough ,flicking through this I came across this little gem : " The Specimen Hunters Overwrap " , not too sure if it was the one that I had but I think that it is as me and my fishing buddy at the time did buy a lot of gear from there .
For the younger tackle tarts of today I will explain , you had a brolly which you put up upright , then you put what felt like a cwt ( sorry, 25 kilos ) of tarpaulin over the top , peg it down and hope for the best , not forgetting that you had a centre pole that you had to try and remember when you had that run in the middle of the night and not knock the sodding lot down .
When you packed up , you just prayed that it hadn`t rained or that " Specimen Hunters Overwrap " weighed twice as much

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

P.S. I also found a " Credit Voucher " for £6-30pence erm , I wonder what thats worth today
Les, I think I can just about remember the picture that you think may be of you ,(god you must be getting on a bit )A carp angling partner of mine had one of the overwraps that you mention and yes it was sheer bloody awful- In those days we used to fish the A1 pits which at the time were free to anybody who wanted to fish there- it was usually empty as the carp world hadnt got onto it then and we would spend a weekend on it and never see a soul- anyway I digress.The shop you mention "The tackle shop"-Tooley street- gainsboro- lincs, was run by Trevor Moss-
who can now be found in the antique trade selling things like longcase clocks and barometers (as long as they dont contain mercury) near caenby corner in Lincolnshire. regarding your credit voucher I reckon it would ( if inflation were to be taken into account) be worth about twelve and a half thousand pounds and two pence!! You may want to enquire if it is still valid with the presant owner of the shop- Neville Fickling- I daresay that we can well guess what the answer to your query will be, that is unless you know the whereabouts of a pike well in excess of the one that holds the record at this moment in time and you are prepared to reveal its exact location. If you dont have this information or will not part with it if you do, I suggest that you continue breathing in the normal manner and frame the credit note as a reminder of ones carefree,happy spending habits of your younger days!
ps-- wanna buy some Nash 80s style stormsides mate- very collectable- only £250-- a REAL BARGIAN !and I'll throw in a cataloque of any i might find on the floor of my tackle dealer which you can sell at a much later date for a handsome return

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Even Enid's "Five" have been cleaned up by Hodder (fabulously quaint, early 1990s, pre-takeover, one editor to a tiny, squalid, English public-school-like, cubby-hole office, Bedford Square HQ, by the way) - Enid Blyton's Famous Five get 21st-century makeover | Books | The Guardian.

"Wot? No Gollies?! Or swarthy gypsy-types? To be either exquisitely patronised and bought a tea, or heartily dumped upon...?"

Well! I blame it on "The Government"!

Last edited: