Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Cash in the Attic - or bookshelf

Whilst I was staying with The Monk recently I noticed that he had some rather nice angling books displayed on his bookshelves. This set me wondering how much value a few of you might have throwing around in terms of angling books.

Many angling books are indeed very valuable as there are a lot of collectors out there. But what makes a book valuable.

First of all the age.

Second - is it a first edition?

Third - The condition of the book.

In fact it's all about rarity, not about the books contents. Some angling books are indeed boring and useless but can command huge sums. I spotted a book in a shop in Wiltshire some years ago which was marked up at £4,000, but I wouldn't have ever bought it.

Recent books that are now commanding high prices are any first editions of Tony Miles works; first editions of "Redmire Pool" by Kevin Clifford and Len Arbury, any first edition of "The Secret Carp" by Chris Yates. "The Fighting Barbel" by Peter Wheat and last but not least, the quarter bound leather, signed, limited edition of "Richard Walker - Biography of an Angling Legend" by Barrie Rickards.

If you have first editions you had better adjust your home insurance. Some of the books you may have spent a few pounds on, might now be worth thousands.

Its not just angling books either, prior to the recent reprints of the entire New Naturalist collection (Harper-Colins), some of the short print editions were going for over 1K, indeed I picked one up in a charity shop last last for 2 quid, its was on the collectors market for 350.00 quid
    Ageing rock guitar hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post
    Recent books that are now commanding high prices are any first editions of Tony Miles works
    Ron- I found mine a week or so thrown at the back of my workbench on the garage floor covered in ****--- Bloody women!!!lol
    Last edited by flightliner; 27-07-2010 at 11:46.

Careful chaps...people read everything.

Burglars included

yeah good warning Lee, we have a few scouser on site
    Ageing rock guitar hero

Blog Entries

the book I mentioned earlier-- for sale to a good home ---- offers over a ton considered-(lol)

Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The Prince Bishops

The last CSG book (our first) is now being sold for silly prices, bearing in mind the publisher sold them off @ £2-50 each. I recently saw over £400 being asked by one on-line seller.

The 2nd CSG book 'Chevin' will be launched Saturday 18th September, info HERE

For several years now I have asked my local city/county library to order in most of the angling books that interest me, eventually little asked for books are usually sold off. Not only is it a good source of cheap books but if enough anglers country-wide ask it pushes up sales. Well I ask you, who else but a handful of weird chub anglers in Co Durham is going to ask for "CHUB" by the CSG or even "My Way with Chub" by TM
    Last edited by john m h; 25-07-2010 at 20:56.

Iv`e just been sorting out a pile of old fishing related letters , mags ect, and found two "Angling Mail Annuals " 79& 83 , not worth money I know but worth a read .
    I also found a 1986 catalogue from " The Tackle Shop " ( Neville Fickling ) Gainsborough ,flicking through this I came across this little gem : " The Specimen Hunters Overwrap " , not too sure if it was the one that I had but I think that it is as me and my fishing buddy at the time did buy a lot of gear from there .
    For the younger tackle tarts of today I will explain , you had a brolly which you put up upright , then you put what felt like a cwt ( sorry, 25 kilos ) of tarpaulin over the top , peg it down and hope for the best , not forgetting that you had a centre pole that you had to try and remember when you had that run in the middle of the night and not knock the sodding lot down .
    When you packed up , you just prayed that it hadn`t rained or that " Specimen Hunters Overwrap " weighed twice as much

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

P.S. I also found a " Credit Voucher " for £6-30pence erm , I wonder what thats worth today
    Last edited by Les Clark; 27-07-2010 at 10:46.
    The future has a way of arriving unannounced .

Les

There was a discussion about bivvies at Boundary Park, and my thoughts turned back to a 'Send Marketing Brollicamp' that I used to own. Much like the Overwrap you mention, but I recollect that condensation used to stream down the insides, to the extent that some sort of internal guttering should have been provided..........
    Still not sure what's going on

Some books that you probably chucked out years ago can be collectable

I seem to remember seeing one of those Sunday afternoon teatime TV shows aimed at the elderly and their greedy offspring who can't wait for them to turn their toes up so they can sell of the old dear stuff that some comic annuals sold for silly prices.

Early Beanos and Dandys were worth a bit and some Rupert the Bear ones went for £100s
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast