Casting when using very long hook lengths

flightliner

Reaction score
Perhaps I should add that typically I use a big cage feeder with up to 6oz of lead on it.
Corker-- in that case why not draw up your hooklength onto say three = = lengths and stuff em into the underside of your half loaded feeder- then fill feeder up and you will then have a hooklength that should behave itself. It works very well-- if on a river then a little pull back when the feeder hits the deck and every thing is laid out in a nice straight line and ready to go. oh-- just make sure the baited hook hangs an inch or so below the rest of your trailing line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good call. The hook length only needs to be out of the way briefly for the start of the cast. If held out of the way lightly by a little ground bait or pellets then it may even pop out mid flight.

I'm actually embarrassed that I didn't think of doing that already.

Perhaps because angling techniques have become so 'advanced' along with a huge variety of helpful gadgets it's easy to overlook the obvious.

flightliner

Reaction score
Good call. The hook length only needs to be out of the way briefly for the start of the cast. If held out of the way lightly by a little ground bait or pellets then it may even pop out mid flight.

I'm actually embarrassed that I didn't think of doing that already.

Perhaps because angling techniques have become so 'advanced' along with a huge variety of helpful gadgets it's easy to overlook the obvious.
Corker- you'r right- you go into a tackle shop and there are entire walls devoted to the selling of "rigs bits"that in many instances are there to catch fishermen- half the time you can get round many of the problems without them. Simplicity is always the way. That rig by the way is even better when you -oops-- pm me

kerrbear

Reaction score
hi all sorry to hi-jack your thread but no point in starting another with such a similar subject.
I plan to fish my local canal (forth and clyde) im intending on catching the odd tench if im lucky!ill be using my pole but want to try the maggot feeder what length of hooklength should i use??? ive read 6" to 18" and could any1 tell me the differance why you would use a short or a long hooklength. cheers

sagalout

Reaction score
Kerrbear, 4inches does me, because I think when they suck up the grub, then "sit" back a short hook link creates a self hooking rig with the feeder as the weight.

A

alan whittington

Used to use pegged down heavy grade plastic sheet on the relief channel when after bream many years ago,with up to 10ft tails.

klik2change

Reaction score
Going back to the original question: another method could be to fold the hooklength as already suggested, or fold it up in a PVA bag and add some stones, if you don't want to chuck in more feed.