Goosebumps

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

What a super story that proves once more that articles don't all have to be about, "how to catch" or "the latest gadgets/baits"

Thank you John for sharing it.

W

Wolfman Woody

It really is stories like that with a few more words and good actors that make great plays for TV. It's certainly something I could sit down to watch rather than the depths of drivel that ITV seem to be stooping to these days.

And having just seen some of the BIFA presentations it could even make a great film too. I really mean that!

J

John McLaren

Wonderful Tale John, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm praying that at the very least Philip gets that day with you.

D

Derek Emerson

that brings back memories John, I started angling in about 1949, at the tender age of about 11, I used to get on an underground train with a six foot bamboo cane rod ( no mean feat I can tell you) but those wonderful days spent there on Hampstead Heath, fishing in the ponds, nothing compares to that.......
We need more articles of that sort, let the modern day anglers know that they don't have it all, they can't possibly have those wonderful memories can they?
Good luck John, and to your mate Philip, you both deserve that day out, I do so hope that you make it.

CHUMLEY

Reaction score
john,
i am a 67 year old match angler, who loke yourself started angling as a kid on a local pond, some miles from home, with a rod made from a tank aerial and a bobbin for a reel and we caught little minnows, roach and rudd that we thought were enormous at about quarter ounce each at best.
i sincerely hope that your mate, Philip,gets over his cancer problems and that you are able to get together for a re-run of those halcyon days of yesteryear.
if you do you must write another article for us to go through those casts, your catches and your thoughts.
it was one of the finest fishing stories that i have ever read, far superior than "look at the size of the fish that i caught"-type of article you get too much of nowadays.
all power to your elbow.......

James Henslowe

Reaction score
My God -The B'Ham Worcester canal at Hopwood. I can smell it now. My best mate and I caught hundreds (well a few, anyway) of jack pike there - but you had to go around the bend in the picture.

An excellent story told by one who cares and that's what I like about anglers.

We care, for the most part. About different things perhaps and for different reasons, but I always think of angling as the great leveler. The stage for our endeavours and triumphs will invariably be there long after we are no more. And what triumphs!

Wherever we fish, I defy any angler to not be caught in a moment of reflection at some point in their angling day. And reflect we should, for the anti's are on the march....

K

Kevin Wilmot 2

A delightful story, beautifully told. Thank you John. I hope and pray that your friend is able to have that trip to the Avon with you.

Wal

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story with us John and I hope you and your mate get that day out. Like everyone else says it has brought back memories from my own childhood and I would like to share a couple of them with you. My first proper fishing was off the steps down the side of the pilot pier at Hartlepool with a garden cane and about six foot of line fastened to the end, we only ever caught pennicks and flatties or the dreaded stingers which of course had to be stood on by someone with heavy boots because as everyone knows the sting would go right through your wellies and you would end up paralysed or worse. Sometimes we would go to the fish quay and get a couple of cods heads, these were fastened on to the spokes of an old bike wheel which was attached to about thirty foot of rope, the wheel was then chucked off the end of the pier and dragged back in after about ten minutes hopefully covered in crabs, we took the big eaters home and used the doggers for baiting our hooks. Somedays we would fish the tide up, down and back up again, it was only extreme hunger that tore us away from the pier, if we could rake tuppence up between us we would buy a huge sugared gobstopper and share it usually between three or four of us, ten minutes each sucking at it so hard it made your tongue sore, and whoever put the most money in got the first go (the sugary bit) and as it got smaller everone pretended they had accidently swallowed it until someone finally did. Great days.
Although I mostly course fish these days I still sometimes go on the pier if the cod or mackerel are in but sadly the kids are all at home with thier play stations. The ocasional ones that do fish have all the top gear and dont get me wrong they know how to use it but I never hear them laughing like we used to.

S

Simon Scott 3

Wonderful article, evoking memories of my own angling apprenticeship - I recall the excitement of finally catching something, however small it was, and the engulfing euphoria of catching a fish large enough to require a landing net, which of course I did not posess (it was a 2lb jack at Emberton Park, Boxing Day 1974, grabbed my spinner beneath the rod tip. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to beach it - not bad for a 12 year-old eh? I was shaking with adrenaline, and could talk of nothing else for weeks afterwards - oh, and I bought a net, essential now that I was amongst the big fish!)

Do the kids of today, the instant gratification generation, feel the same as we did? The son of a recent partner became enthusiastic, but it was all dependent upon results. Would he have spent over 18 months trying before finally catching his first fish? No way. The sport would be forgotten, the kit discarded, and he'd return to worshipping at the little black altar in his bedroom..... the X-Box (but don't get me started on those malignant influences....)
Sincere best wishes to John, and especially Phil, and I hope they have their day on the Avon again.

Matthew Cooper

Reaction score
Bravo John,

well worth the read and a good read to.
I take my eight year old son with me some times but he is still to catch his first fish (seems to think you need to cast and reel in after 10 seconds in the water, theres just no telling him)but i look foward to the day he catches his first fish i always have the camra ready to capture the look on his face.
hoope phillip and yourself get your day on the canal.

Carl Ward

Reaction score
John

Brought a tear to my eye and old memories flooding back.

thanks mate and hope you get your day on the Avon

John Jones

Reaction score
I am quite overwhelmed, you are all far too kind.

I will pass on all your good wishes to Phil.

Even though he doesn't know you personally, I am sure the good wishes of fellow caring anglers will be a strength to him.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Thanks John.

For anyone interested in fishing that's a wonderful story.

For someone from a similar background to Phil, it's almost painful.

Quite breathtaking!

Regards Chris

C

chris edwards

coming from smethwick not far from you this brought many happy memories of my childhood doing many of the same things, thanks for the great read and flood of memories.

A

andy driver

What a wonderful story and one which many anglers will identify with. Fishing is a great way to build lasting friendships as was the case with my Dad and his mate George who started Roach bashing in the New River in Haringay aged about 6 and fished together for nearly sixty years, graduating to Carp and Pike with Abbey Cross AS. Dad introduced me to fishing at about the same age and a Perch was my first fish. Sadly, dad passed away suddenly a few years ago but I often think of him when waiting for my float to go under. We never had the chance for that last trip together so I genuinely hope you and your friend get to the Avon for those Gudgeon and Perch. But if not, those memories will live with you and give you a smile as you wait for your float to disappear, just as they do for me and George.