Goosebumps

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
If you've read the story by John Jones and don't have a lump in your throat then I wonder how human you really are.

I must confess to having goosebumps near the end when remembering my own start off and entry into such a passionate past time. I came from tough and broken home myself and relate to much of the story.

How wonderful and how lucky we all are these days.

Absolutely superb.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dead right Stuart. I think it's this type of article that sets Fishingmagic apart from most other fishing media.

I'm not meaning this to be a plug for FM, but really, where else could you read something like this?

Maybe in Waterlog to some extent, but that's about it.

Yes, you realise we are lucky when you read it, but unlucky in that you could read more of this type of article in those days.

J

john conway

Nice article John, brings back quite a few memories. Sometimes you can?t pay back those who have helped you along the way but I think you do that by helping others. You?re right Graham there are few places now where you can read this type of storey? I hope its just for commercial reasons and not that the modern angler is loosing their humanity and ability to enjoy what nature provides free of charge.

MarT

Reaction score
Great article John, very enjoyable.
Takes me back to my start which was much the same... not to far away either it was the Bham/Fazeley canal.
Hope you and Phil get your day out on the Avon soon!

I have frequented the Tower Ballroom at Edgbaston a few times too...but enough said about that!

Glenn

Reaction score
Fabulous. Most moving thing I've read on the 'net in a long while.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good reading john, and very moveing. We just have to stop and think at times.

D

Davy North

GREAT!, and I must be human after all, I've a lump in my throat the size of a football. Very touching, and more proof if it was needed as to how fishing can change peoples lives.

M

Mark Hodson

Fantastic article, shows how wonderful our sport is and how it changes your life for the better, everyone at some time owes it to the sport they to share its delights with another, Bravo.

M

Malcolm Bason

Absolutely superb!

When reading something such as this, it can't help but one's own childhood fishing memories - thanks for that!

J

John Lock

What a wonderful article John. As a 'Black Country' lad I first wet a line in the canals and flooded clay pits in the Brownhills/Aldridge area, not too far from Brum. Happy days eh?

W

Wolfman Woody

It's one thing to have a good story to tell and quite another to tell it well.

You pressed every button John right, John. Well told, really well told.

Got to reset my contact lenses now.

B

Bully

Mind you there are some drawbacks with FM.

Can you imagine Stu D with goose bumps ? That must be an awsome site, I could probably ski on them in winter !!

B

Bully

....finger probs.

It was an excellent read though, and I agree with Graham's sentiments.

Ergo

Reaction score
I have finally sat down and read this article John. It was excellent, and well written. As I mentioned in another thread I didn't for one reason or another start fishing until 1982/3. This showed me what I was missing :(

R

roto fryer 1

nice article
i must have had it easy because i caught 20 gudgeon on the same maggot so 40 years ago now lol
it too was on the canal but in cassiobury park in watford

B

Bill Cox

what a great read john i too like stu had goosebumps and found my mind wandering back to fishing trips with my dad. Well done you obviously have a talent for writing, lets have some more.

John Jones

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your very kind words. Every single one of us know how blessed we are to be involved in angling.

If my only possessions were my fishing gear then I would still be a happy man.

Sadly, I have to tell you that my old mate Phil is suffering from cancer of the oesophagus and the prognosis is not at all good.

Mind you, Phil's a tough cookie and if anyone can beat it he can, so we might yet get that day out together.

Thanks again to everyone for your appreciative words.