Are you a "Noddy"

C

Chris Bishop

Sylcast was ace. They mis-labelled it for years to the 11lb brown was really 15lbs. I'll swear it never kinked up or caused half the problems modern monos do - and I was using reels with no or ineffective bail rollers then.

I only stopped using Mitchell 300s three or four years ago. Mine had the torpedo handles nicked off a couple of clapped out old 410s.

Remember them..? You could drive a tank over them and they'd keep working. Everyone used them until the Cardinals came along.

They had so many little quirks to get used to, like the line coming off the spool the wrong way, bail arms that bounced open somethimes when you hit a fish, or gradually came undone and fell off every couple of weeks, sounded like an old coffee grinder, ultra loud anti-reverse etc etc.

Miss 'em sometimes *sniff*.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have only just bought my first Mitchell...an old 300 from about 1970. I wanted it for my split can rod as a baitrunner looked out of place!!!!

I loved my Cardinals..and have 3 55's left.

Strange...i have 25 year old cardinals...never had one break...ever...yet I have blown up 3 shimano baitrunners....

J

John Spink

Rob,
You have some "neck" mate!!! After all the cheek you gave me about my Mitchells, you remember..."don't fish near me in case the oldness rubs off stuff!!!"...AND I see you have the audacity to start preaching about 'pins,quills and stuff...Jeez mate you'll be asking me to nominate you for Golden Scale membership!! lol!!
Have you started wearing old clothes instead of the SAS look these days?? Your portrait would suggest otherwise!! Go on come clean...Betr you still fish with buzzers,baitrunners and the latest AK47 rocket launcher Atomic MK6 armalite carbon carp rods....Remember I KNOW you mate!!!lol

R

Rob Brownfield

John...as u know, when u landed your first Scottish carp from that well known specimen water that we used to fish, I actually had one the same day on a split cane rod....and I was using it when we went Tench bashing in Pitlochry!..lol

As for SAS clothes...can't help that mate...if they were good enough to "give" me the stuff, i might as well wear it. Better than fishing in an old EA t-shirt taken of the back of a sleeping tramp..lol

As for the rods......oh Mister "I'm in the Golden Scale Club"....who just bought a super long range Greys carp rod, fitted with 50mm Sic's...lol...cheeky bugger!

We have to hit those Tench soon again...and the rumoure big carp in there...before they get caught and eaten by the locals!!

J

John Spink

Mr Brownfield,Sir.....You know the Greys rod is for the Ferox and the occasional Pike only lol!!! Nah, you know I am not too puritanical when it comes to gear...I like some of the old stuff but I do fish with some modern gear too,hence the Greys rod,baitrunners,downriggers and echo sounder when Ferox fishing!! Agree re the Tench / Carp trip! Also look in local paper today(Mon 2)There a big piece on Pike....Off to eat some coarse fish now!!
P.S.Not so much Noddy's but...I do Laugh when I have been trolling for weeks for nought when some geezer catches a double Ferox on a Mepp trailed from an old row boat somewhere!!!