Andy's photo.

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Christ Ron, where did you get those boots, are they Charlie Cairoli cast-offs, no wonder you were out of breath dragging those around.

Excellent article, sounds like 'all' had a good week-end.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You lads seem to have enjoyed yourself ok, John Jones and I were out today and I said I wouldn't mind mind a knock at that river myself, ?10 a night too, is it extra for the bed?

Matthew Cooper

Reaction score
Sounds like you all had a good time lads, would love to join you one time but need to get a bit more confident before i join the big boys

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You go into "The Bunkhouse" Graham. You have to slide between a few wacky baccy smokers and meths drinkers and even The Monk sleeps there during his Pennine walks, so it's not that bad.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And a kind of kitchen area where you can get up and make a brew whenever you like if you want to.

W

Wolfman Woody

"?10 a night too, is it extra for the bed?" - Graham - a fiver buys you a bag of nails and some scrap timber. Reminds me of Les Mis and the innkeepers song - Master of the House

'Charge 'em for the lice
extra for the mice
2% for looking in the mirror twice.
Here a little slice.
Tthere a little cut.
3% for sleeping with the window shut.'

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

'Charge 'em for the lice
extra for the mice
2% for looking in the mirror twice.
Here a little slice.
Tthere a little cut.
3% for sleeping with the window shut.'

or (20% for sleeping with the local slut)

P

Phil Hackett 2

Monkey any more comments like this from you about us up north, and your first trip to Ribble will be your last. The crabs in the estuary will dine well 3-4 day later I can assure you of that!
Well that's assuming you get through the outskirts of Gunchester alive first!

Mr Nellist was the perfect Gent? thoughtful, generous, polite, etc, etc. He can come again, as for you, you Northern refugee, there might just be a hanging posse waiting for you.

"Good old Andy. Nice to see one of our missionaries getting out and about teaching natives etiquette and how to use knives and forks, that's if the Black Bull had any. :eek:)"

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If Jeff comes to the next one, it will not be too hard to find something illegal in his tackle box. We will have him watched.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Whacky baccy and meths drinkers! and there was me thinking what good company Ron would be.

Seriously though I really fancy a knock at the Ribble it sounds my sort of river (its got some fish in). One thing puzzles me, did everyone stay in the bunkhouse, or are there alternatives?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What other alternatives do you want Graham?

?9.50 is a lot of money in these parts.

J

john conway

Graham, there were only three of us who stayed over night, a couple of other lads who would normally have stayed had work or other commitments. There are other posh pubs in the area that have rooms but I should think they are in the region of ?40 to ?50 a night. If you decide to stay in the buck house then you need to bring a stove, they only provide a kettle and micro wave. BTW the bunk house is attached to the Pub.
Graham if you are seriously interested then email me and I?ll send you a copy of a word doc I did for the first Ribble Fish-in which has information about day ticket water around Ribchester?
If you are in a position to take a couple of days off when the river/weather conditions are favourable then it?s certainly worth a trip up north. Apart from reading the Ribble reports you should also keep an eye on the river levels by ringing Rivercall, for the Ribble ring 0906 619 7733. There are three areas; Locks Weir, New Jumbles Rock and Salemsbury, the later two being the areas where the day ticket waters are. However, noting what?s going on at Locks Weir will tell you if there is a flood pulse coming though. Also noting what?s going on at Rivercall will also give you some indication as to how fast the river can change and may influence your decision to travel up north. Needless to say you have also got to watch the weather, In your case I?d be looking for the start of a settled period and a river that?s fining down. Any level between normal summer level and 0.3M above NSL will mean that all pegs/swims will be fishable, above 0.3M and certain swims become more difficult. If you are fishing into dusk or the evening keep your eye on the moonrise time, clear sky?s at night on the Ribble in my experience are bad news for the Chub.
If you do come up north then I?m sure either myself, or another FM Ribble local will meet up with you.

W

Wolfman Woody

Looks as if I'll be barred from the Ribble then by Sheriff Hackett and Deputy Baz.

Oh dear. And I was going to bring some plastic cups and saucers for you all to practice with. :eek:)

Woody - When you find you're digging yourself into an ever deepening hole - stop digging. When will I learn.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
John, if ever I decide to pay the Ribble a visit you can rest assured I shall be getting in touch, probably by email. Thank you for your advice and offer of help its very kind of you. Always ask them as knows is my rule.

J

Jim Hinchley

Cracking time , cracking people , roll on the next one.

And for those who know it ,i think we should take Ron up onto horseshoe bend !!!!!

J

john conway

How about ?Jackson?s Bank? that should finish the old sod off<G>

J

Jim Hinchley

Now thats just pure evil john . He'd be fine going down but back up well that would be something else altogether !!

F

Fred Bonney

I wanted to join this one,but I've been sunning myself in Cuba.
I think I shall be acclimatized to come along to the next one, before season end and see if my suvun accents disappeared yet!
I don't mind roughing it now and again.

J

john conway

Fred, hopefully there'll be another one in March probably Saturday 5th, I'll confirm this after Christmas.