Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

What is termed "meiliepap" is in fact a staple food in Africa. It is either white or yellow maize meal which has been mixed with water and cooked, mainly in a "potjie" or cast iron three legged pot over a fire.

I have cooked all sorts of stuff in these cast iron pots by the way. You can't beat a good beef stew done in this way.

But I digress, meilepap for fishing is a variety of "stywepap" (stiff porridge or paste). Here's how I used to make it.

Get equal quantities by volume of water and maize meal, say 1/2 a kilo each. Add to the maize meal, a table spoon of flour.

Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan and sprinkle the maizemeal and flour mixture over the water evenly. Allow to simmer gently for about 20 minutes.

At the end of this period get a wooden spoon and give the whole lot a thorough stirring. As the "pap" cools, tranfer it to your hands and work it until you have a nice soft paste.

You can of course add a variety of flavours.

The beauty about this stuff is that if you leave it overnight, fermentation starts to set in and you get a lovely "boozy" aroma to the bait which the fish love.

There are several places in England where you can get South African style maize meal. Look them up on Google.

I think this could be a great bait in the UK.

Sounds like 'Gari' or 'Fufu' -- made from cassava.....I had it years ago with a sort of hot spicy fish stew,

I was invited for dinner with a Ghanaian family -- quite an experience, eating with your fingers, all dipping into the one big dish of food in the centre of the table
    It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

From 1972 to 2008 25% of all Chub above 4lb caught by members of the CSG were caught on bread or bread cocktails i.e., crust & Cheese Past etc. That is 3,463 out of 13,852 Chub were on bread.
    Very few of the chub caught were recorded as caught on brown bread, by very few I mean around 10 to 15 Chub.
    That’s not to say that white is as good as these results show, it’s just that most anglers don't use brown bread. It is also possible that most of the CSG members prefer to stick with traditional Chub baits, that’s not to say that members don’t use modern baits such as pellets and boilies, these do catch quite a few Chub. Bread is cheap and probably the most accessible of all baits and it catches an awful lot of Chub.

I totally agree with you John, chub anglers that fish bread wouldn't dream of buying a brown loaf and I can say with all honesty I have never seen anyone use it and certainly havn't done so myself.

I, the late John Jones and his cousin Jim in the 70's fished bread flake and no other bait whatsoever for three years on the trot and during that period we had the best fishing we have ever had. We were catching fish from stretches where previously we had regularly done poorly, not only that but good quality fish that we didn't think even existed in those stretches.

Anglers over the generations have used white bread for a reason, it catches fish, quality fish and why would you want to change that?

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Blog Entries

I have caught chub on both brown and white bread. More on white bread I guess.

But I don't buy white bread to eat myself as I can't stand it - tasteless kak, it gives you constipation!

I particularly like a wholewheat farmhouse loaf with a top quality cheese, made into a cheese and onion sarmy. If I had the inclination, I'd make my own bread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post
    tasteless kak, it gives you constipation!
    Er, no it doesn't, but then you are a lot older than me, my old mate . . . . . .

[insert 'younger and livelier' smiley thing > > > HERE]

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12