Bait Boats.

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I have no problem with fishing from a boat in big waters (i.e. reservoirs, broads, lochs etc.)- indeed, I've done plenty of boat fishing for pike and trout. I'm undecided about rowing free-bait out (baiting with particles, say, at maximum casting range). I am, however, against rowing-out baited terminal tackle - very much so, in fact. In gravel pits et al, I'm against the use of rowing-boats for any purpose other than getting to inaccessible swims (islands etc.) and, in an emergency, for freeing hooked fish from weed. Bait-boats, however, have no angler-transport nor fish-rescue function - their purpose is solely that of free-bait placement and/or terminal tackle placement. The former I can live with, the latter I regard as unacceptable. Inconsistent? Yes, I acknowledge the fact, but it's down to what "feels" right. Perhaps we're talking ethics?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I know from our conversations that you are a day-only angler these days which means you must frequently load your fishing into key times, carefully preparing a baited swim for the evening feeding spell, for example.

How would you feel if, having quietly laid your trap, some guy turns up in the next swim at 6pm, starts leading around with his feature finding rod, spends an hour spodding out bait and then gets out his mallet!

Personally I'd be a lot happier if he used a bait boat to place his feed upon which I could congratulate him and swiftly shove his mallet where the sun doesn't shine!

We'd both catch then...

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Hello Bob

Mallets, inconsiderate spodding, whipping-the-water-to-a-froth feature finding....

I've encountered all of the above - as have we all, I fear - but on the neglected and often deserted waters I prefer, such activities are rarely a problem. If my fishing is disrupted, however, I tend to pack up and leave. I used to try to appeal to the "better nature"(!) of thoughtless anglers, or remonstrate with them, or simply sit there with undiluted venom in my heart.... but I came to realise that little can be salvaged from such situations.

I

Ian "snotman" Foden

I got a bait boat last year for fishing large lakes at range for bream, tench etc not carp particularly, and its been one of the best pieces of tackle I've ever bought. Its just a tool, like a spod or a bivvy, it just does a job, very very well indeed. It has greatly improved my water knowledge and catch rate as it has a fish/depth finder too.

I'm no technofobe, I can still cast very well, I mainly use it on very large lakes on night sessions and would never use it if I could cast and bait accurately without it. I dont play with it, just use it like a set of scales, or a brolly when I need it.

I must admit I was a bit of a fishing purist myself and frowned on boats in the past, but not now. Its a lot safer and less disruptive than rowing an inflatable or rowing boat round a lake, if you can that is!

Live and let live, but as long as you show consideration to other anglers!!

I

Ian "snotman" Foden

I forgot to mention, its totally silent, and doesnt seem to bother the fish either as I've actually caught within seconds of dropping the terminal gear and bait in 4 feet of water. I once did use it to chase a cormorant off a water too!!

I

Ian "snotman" Foden

A mate who is a technofobe has suggested that he mounts a submachine gun on the front with a laser guided BD detector!

Also one of my boys was so inspired by it that he decided to build a radio controlled catamaran boat on his own for his GCSE D&T project and he's nearly finished it, I pursuaded him to add a bait hopper device too so it wont just be a toy! He's got an A* grade for it!! So I'll have two this summer all being well. Maybe i can have races round the lakes chasing the BD!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Although I have not fished seriously for carp since about 1975, I did learn one thing.

Carp frequent the margins of lakes.

I you keep dead quite and out of sight you can catch them under your rod tip.

The use of bait boats, spods, throwing sticks, catapults and other weapons of long distance baiting, together with people who bash bivvy pegs into the bank has led to long distance carp fishing.

Something which really isn't necessary if you use a little watercraft and learn how to "study to be quiet"

The last decent sized carp I caught in the UK, a 22 pounder was taken about 3 feet out in about 2 feet of water.

I have walked around several carp lakes in the Oxfordshire area before today when there hasn't been a soul around. On one occasion I had a huge fish taking a portion of my sandwiches right under my nose.

I didn't have a rod with me.

Pity, as I could have hooked that fish and it looked every ounce of 40 lbs.

Put me on a big carp lake for a week - alone. Keep all the other anglers off and I'll show you how to catch a few biggies without all the fancy long distance stuff that people use today.

I've done it on many occasions in the past in another country.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could take you to a lake right now Ron. Everybody will be cast out to the middle and bivvied up. But I could show you a group of six carp right in the margins. That's where they feel the safest.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Hey I'll take you up on that Baz this summer. Could you get the bivvy mob off the lake for a month or two.

I'll empty it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the funniest moments Ron, was when a chap called the bread man stood in the middle of three other carpers who were all stood up chatting, haveing cast to the middle of the lake.
The bread man, underarmed his bread flake less than two rod lengths out, you should have seen the look of disgust on the other anglers faces as he hooked and landed a twenty. Not one of them spoke to him or said well done.

F

Frothey

"The use of bait boats, spods, throwing sticks, catapults and other weapons of long distance baiting, together with people who bash bivvy pegs into the bank has led to long distance carp fishing."

its led to fish being caught at long range (because thats where "everyone" fishes), not fishing staying at long range. as has said before, the margins are probably the safest place......

"Put me on a big carp lake for a week - alone. Keep all the other anglers off and I'll show you how to catch a few biggies without all the fancy long distance stuff that people use today."

if you're any good you could do it with all the people still on the lake.. ;)

having to keep people off the lake for a month or two.....fishing it alone....dear dear....!! just cant compete anymore.....

F

Frothey

i blame Jim.....all that long range ringing and the picture of him casting from the Killicks started me off.........would be nice to be able to fish under the rod tips 'round the back of there wouldn't it....!!

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Using a bait-boat to scare-off cormorants... I hadn't thought of that! Does it work with tufties, too? And coots?

I'm on the verge of seeing bait-boats in a whole new light!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Looking at the high cost of them, do they ever sink?

Each to their own in my view but as I'm a river angler I never come across them anyway.

B

Bob Hornegold

Best Bait Boat Story ?

How about

At one time I fished Stanstead Abbots for carp.

But the Bait Boat brigade had the carp feeding to far out for casting anglers to reach, so I turned my attention to the Tench fishing.

Early one morning about 4am I was outside the bivvy watching for signs of feeding fish.

When out of the corner of my eye there appeard a Broadlands Bait Boat.

I was latter told it had a range of around 300 yds and it was on its way to an area called the Sticks to bait up.

I watch with interest as it made its way towards the intended dropping zone-- when suddenly a Candian Goose attacked the Bait Boat without compassion.

It sank and I let out a cry of Yessss-- unfortunately it reappeard the following week, with more buoyancy aid's added.

Don't you just love it ?

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
"Suddenly a Canada goose attacked the boat without compassion...."

I'm now on the verge of seeing Canada geese in a whole new light!

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

I think what might interest you, Jim, is a "gun boat" rather than a bait boat.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
If baitboats were used to give an angler an 'edge' against another angler, I can see the argument against their use - in other words - it would be cheeting!

I can see the argument against them being used as a replacement for casting skill, but then I don't know of anyone who has not learnt to cast first!

I too am against their use to the detriment of other anglers.

But as has already been stated, used correctly, ie, not to the annoyance of others, and not placing baits too close to snags/potential snags, they are just another piece of kit in the anglers armoury!

Again, like others, I would rather use one than thrash the water into a foam-bath and scare every carp within 100 yards to seek sanctuary elsewhere! I more often than not, fish overnighters, consequently, I often have'nt the time to lead around and then spod out, prior to fishing for short periods, therefore the boat comes into its own in these circumstances.

If I am at a water that I know, ie, where I have previously surveyed and mapped out, I will often fire out singles or stringers anyway.

Finally, yes I do have one - a Viper! Now with Echo Sounder, but as yet untried!!!!