Bait Boats.

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
I

Ian "snotman" Foden

Yes Jim they do scare off tufties and coots too. I 've had cause to send it out when they settle on my feed to scare em off a few times :0)

No Nigel they dont sink even in big waves if you seal up the battery compartments. However, if the battery goes flat while its out it can be fun getting it back! If it starts going slow I usually reel it back in and change to the spare batteries.

Thankfully I;ve not met any kamikaze geese yet :0)

C

Cakey

I had to repair a broadlands baitboat(duck damage) that was used on Stanstead Abbotts if remember right it belonged to "Dave the Copper"

best baitboat story
I was building remote control ducks (decoy ducks) for the pike boys and was testing one out when the prop weeded up stopping the motor this caused the duck to catch fire .............fuuniest thing Id seen for years

C

Chris Bishop

Once you start saying this or that advance in technology takes all the skill away where do you stop..? If it wasn't for technology we'd still all be using horse hair or whatever they used before horses were invented.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

One interesting point against boats which I dont think has been made so far and which was put forward by julian Cundiff in this months Coarse Fisherman, is that by opening up previously inaccessible swims they remove sanctuary for pressured fish. Any views?

B

Big Rik

any sanctuaries are normally pressured on the fringes anyway.

One lake near me has an out of bounds bank where some fish congregate.
It's 145 at it's closest and about 165 to the corner.
People still fish it, just with the long chuck gear and all the associated problems of cracking off etc etc.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Jules makes a valid point but as Rik says these safe areas are invaded one way or the other sooner or later anyway, so why not the safe way, with a baitboat.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fair points especially on the safety aspect.

After all a similar argument could have been advanced against the fixed spool reel & its ability to allow anglers to fish further out.

C

Cakey

reminds me of a lake near me that has an out of bounds bank and as rods and reels brought it into casting range the owners decided to make the bank that to could reach it from a float fishing bank only ,the in thing was to pva a spanner (dont ask me why )so there would be 5 or 6 floats in the out of bounds.