Avoiding fishing 'burnout'

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I haven't fished since May.....seems like a major loss not to have fished the wonderful months of summer but I still cannot get myself going at the moment.....and this from fishing several times a week..

Problems started when I tore the tendon to the top joint in my ring finger(it ended up just limply hanging down)and I had to wear a Mallet Splint for 8 weeks to keep the joint stiff.The injury was caused by removing a sock(at the hospital!)where I was being treated for a serious foot problem which turned out to be a Mortons Neuroma which caused sudden massive pain when out walking(my other major passion)and could stop me in my tracks until the pain subsided.

In the last week or so the foot has been injected which has helped with the pain and the finger-well,a bit of a disaster really as whilst its healed I will always have a slightly bent joint which(until my brain gets used to it)will mentally play on my mind and will take some getting used to with fishing etc....

All this,along with serious bouts of(major long standing)depression which drag me down for days at a time,is made worse because I could not walk or fish,both of which help me fight this scourge..
Several times I've got to the river bank only to turn around and go home again-I just cannot tackle-up for some reason-and its got to the point where I'm thinking"do I really want to go fishing again?"
It's amazing really that I find myself in this position(at 67 years old)where I can do what I want,when I want,when my life is otherwise very good with a great wife and no money worries and yet its all at a standstill simply because I cannot get to the river bank...semingly at a standstill because I cannot do the one thing I love so much.........

Anyway,in an attempt to break the cycle we are going away for a weeks holiday to a very decent hotel,with good food and the opportunity to walk til we drop and rivers like the Wye to rekindle the desire-a chance to be away from all the problems that get in the way and seem insurmountable at times.
With any luck I hope the fire and passion will return and I can be back on the river bank in a week or two..........

As others have said,its a time to re-evaluate and move on from what has been a torrid time and from what,physically,I've never faced before..
In a way its good to see others with similar problems(its easy to become buried in ones own mire)and it helps to realise I'm not alone in facing these battles.

Its also feels pretty good to be able to unload-particularly onto understanding fellow fishermen on FM.............

Good luck to all those above-hope to see you on the bank soon!!!

killie

Reaction score
I've fished for almost 55yrs now, started as a 5 yr old nipper in the local burn, guddled when i was older progressing to sea fishing and fly fishing in the lochs and bigger rivers. 20 odd yrs ago i would take my young brother out sea fishing boat and shore, East side of scotland and the west for that matter started to go downhill so my burnout period was starting to come to the fore then.

On one trip I told my brother I was finished with sea fishing and he wouldn't believe me, I almost dumped all my gear into Eyemouth harbour just to prove a point, I ended up giving him all my gear approx 200 quids worth and left him to it, that was 1978. Got into to fly fishing which I enjoyed more and did many trips. 3 yrs ago I again bought a load of sea fishing gear and gave it a try, too damn cold in winter gales, going out paying good money to go out in a boat just to puke my guts up...nah I'm getting too old for this lark of digging bait and seasickness. So sea fishing got the heave and sold all my gear. Kept the fly gear though.

Work shifts got worse and worse so I didn't have as much time to do fly fishing, had a heart attack 3 yrs ago so that stopped me going then other health problems, I just lost my mojo for flyfishing, just had a major operation last month so once again I'm being held back. Beauty thing is now I have just retired and am getting excited about getting back to what I love, once this recuperation period is over and I'm allowed to drive again. I even dug all my flytying gear out the shed which has been untouched for many yrs and started tying again....Happy days are here again I hope, no crappy shifts at work to stop me.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
There was a ghost story once; which I think was in Waterlog. It was about a chap who went fishing every day and everything was always perfect. He always caught a PB fish. In the end he realised that he was in hell!

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Diversification is the Key I haven't posted on here for a long time until recently and for good reasons internet forums were getting a bit stale so I moved away for a while so it is with fishing.
Currently I am doing a lot of salmon fishing I'm lucky as I have access to some decent water through my main club. but as soon as the rivers close for salmon I will be ettling to go grayling and chub fishing throughout the winter. I also have plans for some roach fishing as well.
The other thing is to make the whole day an experience if the fishing is poor find a pub and treat youreslf to a decent lunch. Forget a flask take a stove and kettle and take the time to brew up properly.
Try different venues and styles of fishing set yourself a goal of learning something new every year.
Get a pocket book on wildflowers and another on birds and get to appreciate your surroundings more.
Catching fish is only part of the process.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Very nicely said Alan-seems so straight forward when you say it like that and I suppose it is really.......so I'm going fishing tomorrow-not necessarily to catch fish but just to be by the water....

...that first cup of tea will taste great..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm very pleased to report that I finally managed to go fishing Monday and yesterday(regardless of what I said above about going last week!).........

After all this time and a great deal of angst(see previous posts)I finally managed to get my head together and set foot on the bank-and it felt just great!
I didn't need to catch,I just needed to feel good about being out again-and it did!

That I managed to achieve this is due(mostly indirectly)to the people on this site who have helped me over the bad times via the general chat and banter that is FM and I'm very grateful for this,so thanks to you all.....

ps I caught two small carp but they felt like record fish to me.......................