Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Avoiding fishing 'burnout'

I’m sure pretty much every angler has, on the odd occasion, questioned what they are actually doing fishing when conditions or otherwise dictate they could (or should!) be spending time doing something more productive.
    I’ve certainly felt pretty dejected after a run of blanks on a hard water or stubbornly going fishing when conditions just aren’t right and then struggling.

However, I’ve never really felt a real sense of burnout in relation to going fishing. Even after blanking in cold, wet conditions I can always muster fresh enthusiasm for the next trip.
    One of the joys of angling for me is always trying new things. Getting to grips with a new venue, doing a bit of sea fishing even travelling to a venue in a new way (cycling) has kept my interest up throughout the years.

I’ve always been impressed by some of the ‘big names’ in the mags, bloggers and contributors on here that continue to write with genuine enthusiasm and interest for the sport, even after they’ve fished for years or even decades.
    However you also sometimes see ‘instant’ anglers that appear on the scene in a blaze of glory only to disappear soon after.

Have you ever suffered fishing ‘burnout’?
    What’s the key to continually enjoying your fishing?
    Last edited by tesco value; 01-09-2010 at 17:33.

the key is as you say variety, be it method, species, or venue.

though i am currently suffering from burnout with both carp and barbel.
    barbel particularly i just can't find anything interesting about them at the moment, though this may be a reaction to the way that they are currently semi worshipped rather than the fish them selves.

Good post TV.

Yes I've had fishing burnout twice.

The first time followed a week at Anglers Paradise in Devon many years ago. Things went t*ts up and my two mates couldn't do the full week, so I ended up on my own for a couple of days. I fished it solid everyday and absolutely bagged up everyday, which isn't hard down there. I came home and chucked my gear in the garage and didn't look at it for about two months. My mates couldn't believe it, I just didn't want to go fishing.

The second time was two winter ago before Christmas I think, I was fishing four days a week trying to catch my 2lb roach. I'd finish work at 2pm and have the gear in the car, 45 minutes drive and fish into dark, usually until 9pm. Then 45 mins home, eat, wash, sleep and in work for 6am. It was unbelievable! I was totally drained, no energy and eventually no enthusiasm.

I've changed now and so has my fishing, diversification is the key I believe. Different venues, different species and tactics.

I know my 'roach head' will be on soon though, but not like before. When the enjoyment is gone, it's just not worth it.

I've been fishing now for more than fifty years and have just come back after a lay off of about nine months, the longest ever! I had so much work, the job and at home, I didn't have the energy or enthusiasm for anything, including fishing! Then a new fishery opened up quite close to home, so I gave it a try and that was it. I was like a kid again, I couldn't wait to get out again, sorting gear, making rigs (chatting on FM!).
    I'm quite convinced that fishing is a disease for which there is no cure

This year i have fished about only 3 times, i just can't be bothered with getting all my stuff ready and then picking a Venue and then lugging my lazy fat arse over to said Venue and well it goes on and on.

Don't ask me why, i haven't fell out of love with fishing itself, i just can't be bothered to go.
    I think work and the weather and money are all contributing factors but they're not the only factors.
    I have no intentions to go fishing in the near future either, but you never know i might go this weekend ............

Blog Entries

Fishing "burn-out" has happened to quite a few of my old friends, a few of them don't go fishing any more.

Personally I think "burn out" happens most to those who don't go fishing for the true pleasure fishing provides. They are looking to gain something else, maybe fame and fortune from the sport, and when they don't achieve that they give up in frustration and disillusionment.

Anyone trying to achieve some sort of fame or status from their angling is on a bloody sticky wicket, make no mistake about that. I have met in my life some of the world's most famous anglers and with the exception of two of them, they have all had other jobs and means of making a living.

And I'm not talking about people in the tackle trade.

Each year or so I tend to have a bit of a change. Because of my obsessive personality I tend to set realistic goals ie species of fish or method of catching them. To this end the avoidance of "burn out" for me, more than anything else has been the change of method part. The last year was devoted to fishing as many venues as possible using a centre pin both lake and river. I'm sure this has cost me alot of fish but the enjoyment is through the roof.
    Next season is already sorted in my mind. Float fishing. I HATE float fishing, probably because I suck at it. So the whole of next season will be using a float as much as poss.
    PaSC Designated On Road Driver

Personally I like to avoid any risk of burnout by varying the fishing I do - particularly with regards to the seasons. In an ideal world, I'd fish for carp, tench and crucians with a float on lakes in the summer, with the odd river overnighter for bream thrown in for good measure.... then the rivers get more attention in the Autumn, some pike fishing and general "pleasure" fishing - say maggot feeder on the thames just trying to see how many different species you can get through... in Winter, it's all about chub (with an occasional pike trip) and then in the Spring I have to confess I won't do a lot of fishing, if any.... which guarantees that by the time the summer comes round I'm chomping at the bit again!

I nearly hit it this year on the tidal trent, After catching more than a Hundred Barbel using just the one rod off a section of the TT in four shortish sessions, i couldnt bear to do it again for a good three weeks. So out came the float rod, which i really enjoyed; there is not a better feeling barbelling on the float. I also got myself down to some intimate fishing on my local rivers, which also brought me some variety catching the odd chub and barbel. Next saturday is a memorial match for an old friend on my local res, and i will be there. Variety and the challenge keeps you going, too much of a good thing results in burnout IMO. I really dont know how Steve Ringer does it, i think his anglers elbow, in which he had to stop fishing for a while may have been an excuse for burnout.

Jon

I think you can get burnout from incessant bagging at the same water, especially if it is the same method and target fish each time. Haven't had too much experience of that - as i would usually try something different (unless i was taking a mate over) after a successful day or two. I am probably more likely to get burnout from relentless blanking though. The meticulous packing and loading of gear for a session can be a stumbling block. Theres always so many essentials to worry about ...and even travelling light means getting everything sorted beforehand.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast