Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Float rods...

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

Loads of useful info here, most of which I never knew until now.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Please.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Ok, reading all of the above, and thinking about what I am really likely to use it for, I would have gone for Graham's suggestion I think. But, it's out of stock and they don't say that more are coming.

So, the next best model rated up to 8lb line is the 12'6" version I linked to above.

If I am totally honest with myself, this rod will mostly get used on stillwaters for tench and so forth. I will use it on the rivers, but will be fishing for anything that comes along that is tempted by maggots, worm, corn or bread. If it stands a chance of landing barbel then all well and good but I appreciate that a compromise has to be made, or two different rods bought.
    I believe in reintarnation - I'll come back to life as a hillbilly.

if it's a still water rod you want then the drennan tench float takes a lot of beating.

you could still use it for larger river fish too.

personally if i'm fishing the stick it's going to be in the old classic match tactics for small fish with delicate presentations. using 1 to 1.5lb bottoms, so i use my stick float rod. if i'm fishing something like a loafer for larger fish then i use one of my avons instead.

Blog Entries

Sounds like I might be better buying a stillwater float rod and using my 1.25lb Wilson for the barbel then.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Sounds like I might be better buying a stillwater float rod and using my 1.25lb Wilson for the barbel then.

well i've had doubles on a wilson

Blog Entries

I've had them up to 10 and a half, but only using it as a feeder / ledger rod.

I have float fished with the Wilson too, but always felt that a dedicated float rod would have a better action for that type of fishing.

Paul this is virtually the same rod as there is almost no difference between the Mach II's and the Mach III's, not that we could see on Saturday anyway. Should you order be careful that you order the commercial one and not the match version which is for lighter work.
    Last edited by Graham Whatmore; 02-09-2010 at 22:10.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Default float rod

Hi, i bought a 10ft rod from cash converters (their own brand), it was brand new and only cost just over a tenna, its done everything i've asked of it, canals, rivers and commercials. I've had some good carp on it plus loads of good tench, got no complaints and casts better than my old 13ft carp waggler powerhouse rod,
    chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12