Otters are as dangerous as lions

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
John and TIC (;)) it is true

If they rescue the runts, rear them and re-introduce them, no laws have been broken....

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I'm all for culling do-gooders. They all suffer from the same problem, they only see one side of the argument, they are a bit like the ill-famed lemmings, blissfully ignorant and careering towards their doom.

Were otters introduced back into the wild in selected areas and then left to their own devices nature would eliminate some of them as it does with all life. The problem is that they are putting far too many back and some in the wrong places, not only that, there is a continuing programme of reintroduction causing overcrowding and the otters seeking food from places other than the river, there natural food source. Add to this the decimation of the river fish caused by that overcrowding and its another case of "Houston we have a problem". We anglers are quite rightly up in arms about because we see the effects of this unlike the average man in the street who sees only TV pictures of cuddly otters, unfortunately for us anglers there are more of them than us.

Is there an answer? I think so, stop the reintroduction programme and give those that are in the wild now a chance to settle down as nature intends, and that includes a certain amount of thinning out. Lets face it there have always been fish in our rivers even when otters were natural to them, that is until nature saw fit to eradicate them due to man's interference in their habitat, maybe the same would happen again but at least it would be natural and not the result of mans interference yet again.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I'd rather fight a Bloody Otter than a Lion anyday of the week ............ as dangerous as a Lion, my hairy armpit, how many Otter Tamers do you see at the circus :wh

The bad one

Reaction score
I see the misinformed are still peddling the misinformation......

And they then wonder why the people they need to engage with in a sensible dialogue to address the issues where there is localised problems think they are a joke! :eek:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Bad Un,

The original re-introduction has finished and it was successful. The otters have made their way everywhere. I still don't understand how it was legal? Angling clubs were supposed to have been asked if they object to the re-introduction, what about the angling clubs that had no say when the otters started spreading???

It's true what I've said they are doing now. From a litter of 4 or 5 only 2 or 3 will survive. They know where the holts are and rescue and rear the ones that are supposed to die...

That's not how nature is supposed to be.

The bad one

Reaction score
Steve it was legal because it was not illegal at the time the captive breeding programme started. The only regulation covering it was the Wildlife and Countryside Act (first edition). Which stated those who keep, breed native wild animals must have a licence to do so. The Otter Trust did!
Also Environmental and wildlife Law has evolved significantly since the 1980s when the programme started and finished in 2000.
You can't judge what happened then with today's tighter laws, simple as!

Again under E &Wl law of the time there was no right to be consulted, informed or anything else. Nor was there any requirement for any impact assessment of any kind to be done by those releasing such organisms, animal, plants etc.

As for the numbers of young you quote some what high mate! 3 is a very large litter indeed according to the research studies done on their breeding.
If you have "evidence" that cubs are being removed from holts, for no good reason by anyone, then report it to Natural England. And if they don't take it seriously, then give it Greg, who I have no doubts will give it the treatment in the house style.

captain carrott

Reaction score
nice to see someone talking sense occasionally phil. can't be doing with the utter bollox that's being bandied about this place its pure ignorance.

in fact at times it's like reading a transcript of the nuremberg rallies

The bad one

Reaction score
One has to some times :):):)

nuremberg rallies That's toxic mate!

Last edited:

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I reckon three otters on the chest of that new Endland strip could only improve it. :D

My mate has just acquired an Otter hound puppy, an Airedale (Spilling?) and it's flipping barking mad! I mean truly barking mad! :(

preston96

Reaction score
I reckon three otters on the chest of that new Endland strip could only improve it. :D

My mate has just acquired an Otter hound puppy, an Airedale (Spilling?) and it's flipping barking mad! I mean truly barking mad! :(

It's probably mad because no one lets it do what it was bred to do.......but those do gooders just kept on breeding em! :wh

Just release a few back into the wild and the breed will soon regain it's full mental prowess:D

I must amit tho, that i didn't know the "Air" was the original Otter hound.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
It's probably mad because no one lets it do what it was bred to do.......but those do gooders just kept on breeding em! :wh

Just release a few back into the wild and the breed will soon regain it's full mental prowess:D

I must amit tho, that i didn't know the "Air" was the original Otter hound.

Me neither Paul, but my mate assures me that is their original purpose. And I wouldn't put money on this thing to track down its own tail let alone an Otter. (Though it spends quite some time trying. :D)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Bad un and CC.

They obviously aren't a problem on your local...........yet!

When your river, pond, lake goes downhill, you'll know how we feel....:mad:

Bad un, I can't be ar$ed to go through all that cr*p just to find the bit about when they were supposed to get permission from angling clubs to release otters near their waters.

They are here, no-one researched the effect they would have on the rivers, drains and lakes they would find their way into!

The numbnut tree huggin doogooders just wanted to bring the cuddly wuddly fluffy critters back...........what a bunch of to$$ers!!!