Coarse Fisherman Magazine - RIP

preston96

Reaction score
You a religious man Paul? Lol! Try the Watchtower; lots of sh*t about fishers of men... :j:wh

We must fish and talk religion some time mate................i think we may share lots of views.

Watchtower was my Sunday evening read in the 60's down at the Workin mens club ;)

Reaction score
I have emailed Coarse Fisherman to ask them to confirm/deny...I suspect Corkers sources are impeccable but I am going all Meldrew and can't believe it!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Midland/ Southern Angler died the same death of a thousand cuts a few years back....

Unable/ disabled to compete in a very agressive one-sided market.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let's just say that as I feared, and really knew, Matt's source was impeccable. In addition have had it confirmed elsewhere.

Want to ponder on this and don;t want to go over the ground covered in the recent excellent thread on Fishing magazines and content. But I am really gutted. I really enjoyed CF -which is why I subscribed to it!

Poshers

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Cant say that I will miss the magazine.

Although the writeanglingmagazine on line mag looks to be well presented, trying to read it in the same comfortable and relaxing way as one can do with a printed publication is a non starter. I'll stick with my C.A.T.

Steve King

Reaction score
Now that has really spoiled my day!!

CF was the only paper (as opposed to online) angling mag I read! I have subscribed for years and will really miss it :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Diversity and competition is fundamental to a vibrant economy.

The supermarkets and distribution networks involved should hold thier heads in shame honest men and women have lost thier jobs to satisfy minor points of profit maximising and all the assorted **** that gets spouted in boardrooms by ***** that wouldn't know the ****ing reality of doing a proper frigging job if it jumped up and ripped out thier ******* giblets and choked the last remenats of thier ****ed up cash obsessesed lives from out of thier bodies.

I am sorry CF has folded

To those ****ers responsible "I hope you are happy you pathetic ****wits...I hope you die lonely cold and miserable in exteme pain and very slowly"

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Flippin eck! :mad:

I concur with Swordsy.

Good luck to Stu Dexter and everyone else involved with C.F.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It was the only mag I had a subscription for. Obviously there were not enough of "us" to keep it viable.

Its more than a shame and a pity - it was a quality magazine with quality writings!

:mad:

A

alan whittington

Well i hold subscriptions on CF and CAT,i wonder if the latter is in trouble also as i felt the quality of the mag(paper and printing)seemed down on its normally high standards,its a sad loss to angling literature,for you cant call the weeklies that.

captain carrott

Reaction score
CC has a point. FM is a rich source of info , ok you can't take it to the smallest room , but I heard apple are bringing out a lav top for this purpose and also a sat lav for finding locations of venues...........
Seriously however, I think it's a tragedy when mags and papers fold ........

hmm i'd heard it was going to be called the c r a p top

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I've just had an hour long chat with Coarse Fisherman owner Simon Roff.

Although he very much regrets having to close the magazine there were sound financial reasons for doing so. All subscribers and contributors will receive a letter.

It's a sad day for everyone, especially me, with an article in every issue in the magazine's 32 year lifespan.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I just checked me pile. It was Coarse Fisherman that went belly-up before, whilst still accepting subscriptions !!

It was in April 1985, when David Hall's Clearwater Publishing Company went into the hands of a Liquidator with debts of £134,000.

WM Print Limited from Walsall bought the defunct title from the Liquidator.

Dave Phillips remained as Editor, and despite some mudslinging, brought in the May issue only a couple of days late.

To be honest, I didn't like the magaizine before that..it was full of childish gossip, innuendo and spiteful tittle-tattle in the guise of some 'anonymous reporter' called Backstabber, with his articles under the banner of 'Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies'.

Too much froth and not enough fishing...a bit like the Thames after a storm!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't like the magaizine before that..it was full of childish gossip, innuendo and spiteful tittle-tattle in the guise of some 'anonymous reporter' called Backstabber, with his articles under the banner of 'Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies'.
I remember that. I think was David Hall himself who wrote it and I thought it was the best part of the magazine by a long chalk :) Other mags had similar columns but none had the acerbic wit of Snide rumours and dirty lies. It was funny!