Coarse Fisherman Magazine - RIP

Lark

Reaction score
Sad times indeed - CF always attempted to be reading material rather than browsing material and, for the most part, acheived this.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think it's more than just display costs. Magazines across the board (including outside of angling) have mostly lost circulation in the last year or two. Advertising revenues/rates are down, not helped by advertisers who think they're doing everyone a favour with advertorials that the readers don't like and the magazines get little or no revenue from. So it's a triple financial whammy.

Coarse Fisherman started in December 1975 which makes it nearly 35 years. I remember finding a copy at Liverpool Street Station and being amazed at this new mag despite its amateurish appearance. Graham's articles don't appear in CF in the early 80s but I suspect that instead they were put in 'Fisherman' for a short while, and had coarse, game and sea fishing. Fisherman was a sister mag of CF for two or three years in the early 80s but probably disappeared when CF got into trouble. Don't confuse this Fisherman with the one published 1973-75 which was something entirely different.

David Marrs

Reaction score
Gutted to see that CF has bitten the dust, although I don't often buy fishing literature, I used to really enjoy reading CF whenever the urge took me to splash out on a mag or two. In particular, I used to quite enjoy Matt Rand's articles.

Someone made the comment earlier on but sadly when I get dragged shopping with the missus and I can cast a sly glance over the magazine shelves to see whats on offer, I find it perhaps indicative of the way our society is changing. All that seems to be displayed just revolves around Jordan, Cheryl Cole, Kerry Katona or X Factor rejects and total guff like that,- the really sad thing is that people buy that ****!

I like to think Swordsy put it best though......

quickcedo

Reaction score
On line mags are all well and good but as said earlier not exactly the most convenient way to read. I have a couple of E books which have taken me about 6 months to read! But I fear on line is the way smaller circulation mags will go.
I never took subsciption to CF but bought it each month without fail. It was put together perfectly for me as I could scan through it in an hour then take most of the month to read it properly.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Shame good magazine
Good luck Stu and your collegues.

PS,
got a way with words that Swordsy:D

The bad one

Reaction score
Think positive guys, there's a very good editor looking for a job and an online site that needs one :wh

A

alan whittington

Message to self

"Don't post angry"

"Don't post tipsy"
Dont you believe it Lee,i think a few of us would have bought you a pint to cry into(just like im doing now mate).Every time something decent is available something comes along to balls it up.:(

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Message to self

"Don't post angry"

"Don't post tipsy"
Nothing wrong with speaking and showing passion in your opinion Lee................. No one would have noticed you'd had a couple of drinks by the way. :D

The Monk

Reaction score
Phew! CF gone down, bring back David Hall`s Coarse Fishing, how sad, lets hope Total Guitar doesnt go the same way

preston96

Reaction score
I just checked me pile. It was Coarse Fisherman that went belly-up before, whilst still accepting subscriptions !!

It was in April 1985, when David Hall's Clearwater Publishing Company went into the hands of a Liquidator with debts of £134,000.

WM Print Limited from Walsall bought the defunct title from the Liquidator.

Dave Phillips remained as Editor, and despite some mudslinging, brought in the May issue only a couple of days late.

To be honest, I didn't like the magaizine before that..it was full of childish gossip, innuendo and spiteful tittle-tattle in the guise of some 'anonymous reporter' called Backstabber, with his articles under the banner of 'Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies'.

Too much froth and not enough fishing...a bit like the Thames after a storm!

Oh well, childish i will have to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i liked snide rumours and dirty lies!
Backstabber was in the know!..................makes you wonder who his advisors were :wh

Last edited:

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Oh well, childish i will have to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i liked snide rumours and dirty lies!
Backstabber was in the know!..................makes you wonder who his advisors were :wh

I loved 'Snide Rumours' too --- and was often in it !!
It was only a bit of fun ...
Some of us wore 'I've been in Snide Rumours' badges.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies was brilliant! It was the first thing I used to turn to!

The Monk

Reaction score
Yes I have to admit I was also a great fan of Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies and also made an appearance from time to time, it was aimed at those In the know and many of the remarks would be lost on those looking in.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies... A friend of mine, well known on the 'Match circuit' at the time, Barry Rudge, had a 'disagreement' with another match angler, thereafter in Snide Rumours, his name was always Beara Grudge.......class.