River levels can anyone explain this?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Environment Agency - River levels station data

Have a look at the 48 hour chart (scroll down)

I can't understand why it is doing this?
I've looked at many other river charts and none seem to do this?

Is it water abstraction?
It's not tidal, could it be lock gates opening from the canal into the river? But then it can't be, because it's happening through the night?

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I think you've really stumbled onto something here Steve. It's pretty obvious that this information is going to be really valuable to you.

It's all about water displacement, the Archimdies Principle:

The weight of the displaced fluid can be found mathematically. The fluid displaced has a weight W = mg. The mass can now be expressed in terms of the density and its volume, m = pV. Hence, W = pVg.

Now, if you can define the actual height and therefore the weight of the rise in level, you can further define the mass of the body that displaced that weight (the cause of the displacement).

Further, having defined that mass, you can then define the weight of the bodies(s) with that mass (using standard known biometrics).

All you then need to do is actually track those bodies as they move up and down the river, causing the fluctuations in levels.

Did I mention those bodies are definately vast shoals of 2lb+ roach?

:wh

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hahahaha :D

I'm gonna have to get CC on the case here I think ;)

I want scientific proof it's 2lb+ roach, it could be huge otters plopping in and out of the water :wh:D

captain carrott

Reaction score
my guess would be the readings are taken reasonably close to a properly tidal section and it's some kind of knock on effect from tides,

i.e. as water piles up in the estuary, it stops it clearing out of here so quick.

though i do like the 2lb roach theory

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It can't be anything to do with tides, too far away, only the third chart is tidal.

I wish it was 2lb roach.....

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

It's really wierd?

Somerford has levelled out, but Saltford is still doing it??? :confused:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought so Matt?

Somerford and Saltford were doing the same thing last night?

It could be sneaky water abstraction everytime we get rain and the river rises a bit?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
They have put this disclaimer at the bottom:

'Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided, neither Environment Agency, nor its employees or agents can be held responsible for any inaccuracies or omissions, whether caused by negligence, large roach or otherwise.'

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Probably a sluice or gauging weir. The River Don does that due to sluices letting water through one section of the river at a time. Each length of the river is effectively cut off from the rest of the river and water is controlled by an automatic sluice. Water level rises, trips a gauge and the sluice allows it into the downstream section. The level of this rises, trips a gauge and the sluice closes. You get steady rises and falls in the water level.