Biggest Surprise/ Nuisance Fish?

Reaction score
What's your biggest accidental, nuisance fish, and how under-gunned were you for the fish landed?

Dr. Garner did it in style bream fishing at St.Ives with a nuisance carp of 56lb...

thumbnail.php

On a much smaller scale, I went roach fishing today on the Severn and failed completely... Single maggot, size 16, 3lb hooklink... only eels and bleak for my troubles until this 15lb 6oz basketball came along!

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-river-magic-picture2176-river-severn-nuisance-carp-15lb-6oz-caught-roach-fishing-single-maggot-3lb-bottom-16s-hook.jpg

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A mate of mine lives in Spain and fishes one of those big rivers for carp, he reckons the nuisance 3lb roach are as bad as the bleak on the Thames..........

quickcedo

Reaction score
I remember fishing the Teme for Barbel using a 10mm pellet and a size 10 wide gape hook. I caught a gudgeon which must have been over 4oz farely hooked inside the mouth. Unfortunately didn't have scales to accurately weigh it. Quite how the hook got inside it's mouth I have no idea coz it was bigger than the fishes mouth!
It was the biggest fish I caught all day!

David Marrs

Reaction score
Ha ****y, I had a 19lb 4oz Mirror Carp from the Old Nene in 99 on a 2oz skimmer livebait. It looked massive at the time and to be honest, it took ages to get in too! In addition, as a mere whipper snapper at jigging, I also had an 8lb 14oz river Bream first cast on a chartreuse 4inch shad a couple of years ago. (both hooked in the bottom lip, I'll pass on to the Carp Crew a few tips on hooking up their livebaits lol)

A couple of damn pesky PB's I can tell you!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I once had a 23lb mirror carp on a 3 inch perch livebait meant for catfish. Hooked in the corner of the mouth too.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
A nice suprise ****y, bet it took some getting in.

Bream and chub whilst night fishing for eels on the river with bleak deadbaits.

(I gotta get a 2lber soon....everyones aving a pop now) :eek:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Early 90's, Parry Sound, Ontario. I was having fun catching walleye and small mouths off the rocks at the entrance to the harbour. The technique was to 'bounce' a lure off the boulders and the fish would pounce on it. You lost the odd lure when it snagged on some debris so I wasn't surprised when I snagged up. Then the snag set off into the lake at a nice steady pace! It spooled me in the end so I never found out what it was - possibly a big white sturgeon.

noknot

Reaction score
Years back, I was on a night session, and had a slow steady take on a fish meal / fish oil hookbait, did not feel like the intended Carp but still powerful, 17+ Pike! More recently it would have to be Cat fish, great fight but ugly buggers! Had them to 23+ so far on Carp gear;)

CarpaCat2.jpg

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
What you need ****y is a large handkechief, a tricorn hat, a cutlass and a parrot on your shoulder.

A - Aaaarrrggghh - Rum Jim Lad, rum!

slime monster

Reaction score
Noknot I was fishing a water some years back when the owner informed me there was a solitary catfish in there , he had no sooner left when I caught it at around 2.5 -3lb and the same species as the one you are holding or very similar I always thought it was an American Bullhead.