Just building a website what do you think

J

Jack Pike

In the middle of building a website and up to my eyes with <div> and <tag>'s everywhere so just wondering what your honest opinions are still needs a lot of work to do on it www.southportangling.co.uk could you tell me if the pics download ok there is a few problems with Netscape and Firefox browsers

B

Big Rik

Jack

seems good.
All pics and forms load.
tried using IE5.5 and NS7.2

Presumably you have no match section, as your match links all point back to the page they are sat on.
(e.g. The match link on the 'about' page, points to the 'about' page etc etc.)

M

matthew nightingale 2

Jack,

Looks good, nice and clear and easy to use.

The pictures are a bit small to my eyes. I run the RADAC site (www.radac.org.uk) and I've found that for the Gallery its best to put thumbnails (100 x 75 pixels) as links to the pictures which should be about 400 x 300 pixels.

Pictures need to be nice and sharp.

Hope this helps; I'm no expert but shout if I can help.

M

J

Jack Pike

Cheers Matthew thanks for that I am gonna sort out the gallery last as I found that processing the pics can take a while I will use to size that you reccomended thanks

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Hi Jack, good start. I've had a quick look;

The menu changes depending on which page the user is on. For instance, on the 'waters page' 'day tickets' appears on the menu.

For now I would just create on menu then cut and paste it into each page. Or learn to use templates.

Also, the waters page doesn't fit on the screen at a res of 800x600.

On the Ribble page there's a graphic with a broken link on the bottom left.

It's copright infringment to use OS maps without permission. I usually draw a map and have a link to Multimap.com. See Donny AA for instance.

Some of the pages still have a copyright notice of "(C)2003 Company Name".

If you can suss out templates it will save you from having to edit each page seperately.

Also some of the pages are still Untitled.

Hope that helps.

MarT

Reaction score
Looking good Jack, coming on well!

pardon the pun, but have you had some pikey's in that car park?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Jack , check spelling ----Its COARSE fish not COURSE on first page

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Thanks Rik ---(I wondered what I'd done wrong)

J

Jack Pike

Could be Mar T but local flytippers more like it. Ok I will do Ed

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I forgot, it's a good idea to test in Firefox. Firefox now has around 20% of the browser market.

T

tom riordan

I had a look around your site using firefox, and I had no problems with anything, all your links opened up in seperate tabs and the pictures enlarged beautifully when I scrolled the mouse over them. Well done, and a very interesting site, one which I will visit again.

J

Jack Pike

I will sort the links out and order them proper in time also I am allowed to use 10 ordance survey maps as long as I used their links I will put them later The Donny site looks very nice and well design well done Matt. I,ve firefox so will try later thanks for the tips and hints and i will link up a email later because I am full of flu. Found out one important point always make a copy folder of the root site as I just had redownload the site with my ftp programme because I made one almighty cock up with my css,s which sent everything out of the window and probaly used a large quota of the bandwidth allocations

M

matthew nightingale 2

Jack,

Probably the most important thing you need is for people to provide you with regular material. You can't produce it all yourself and if you don't get support from the Committee and members you'll run out of steam. Make sure everyone understands this.

M

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jack - agreed with comments from Matthew regarding picture clarity, they look blurred to me. Mind you I'm on nights so it could be my eyes!

Regarding the spelling/grammar - you have the word 'other' repeated on one page and several uses of 'senic' - correct spelling is scenic.

J

Jack Pike

I will Matt thanks. I will check that out later Nigel will be sorting the pics out soon I think thats the most time comsuming as I am trying to please the users with dial up cheers for the tips.