What can I do?

Jamie Varcoe 3

Reaction score
hi i need help i go fishin a couple of times a week and everyone else is catchin but i are not i have tryed everything and it doesn t work. i ask people if im doin it write an they say my rigs are good but i never catch i always take a bucket of varius baits if any one has any tips plz tell me thankyou jrv

T

The Monk

you could be trying too hard mate, just watch what everybody else is doing and try to see if you can identify anything they are doing that you are not, sometimes the little things make a big difference. Also read everything available, try to identify when fish feed on the waters you are fishing, what is the going baits, what are the best swims, which swims produced most of the fish, is it a quiet water, etc etc

Glyn Knapton

Reaction score
I agree with the monk, fish as close to features as you can, if there are no visable features ask other anglers about under water troughs and drop offs most will be happy to tell you, infact you'll have trouble shutting most up(guilty) a big part of fishing is confidence you just need to sit it out for that first fish.Let us know how it goes I think you'll find we're all rooting for you here

J

jason fisher

have you plumbed the lake thoroughly, to find all the subsurface features.
if not i'd suggest starting there.

Jamie Varcoe 3

Reaction score
hi jason there is not alot of under water features as someone told me to try it and when the lake was empty i just casted to different parts of the lakes there are a few big lilly beds alot of silt and a couple of ledges which i try to fish on but my casting is not very good when fishing in open water but im pretty good at fishing tight to islands and stuff

G

Gray Lucas

Hi Jason

If you fish the same water on a regular basis try leaving your gear at home(hard to do) and just watch and talk to the anglers who are catching.A good angler will be happy to let you sit and watch and answer all your questions but dont be too pushy and dont crowd the angler you are watching.Try taking notes and put your findings and the advice you have been given into practice on your next outing.Hope your luck improves
soon.

Gray

C

Cakey

are others catching on the lake ?
not all lakes fish through the winter
find out if its a winter lake if not move on to one that is and return to this one once its warmed up a bit more.

F

Frothey

is everyone else fishing tight to pads/islands? sometimes its worth dropping short as the fish might think baits a metre or two short are "safer", as everyone fishes tight, dont they?

dont worry too much, we're coming up to one of the most prolific times of year.....

J

jason fisher

june 14th,

the other thing to do is get up a tree and watch, you'll eventually work out where the patrol routes are and have a bit more chance of picking one up.
Either that or get piles.

Colin Smith

Reaction score
I have found that if you watch other anglers and try to do exactly the same as them, try to change your presentation about and where you fish as much as possible. In other words, try to fish the "opposite" as others (although not completely as others are catching!).

I have found that my catch rate has improved slightly when i try something different to others, but anyway, good luck,

col ;)

Sam Thornhill

Reaction score
Hi Jamie,

Watching other anglers is important and I'm sure if you ask them in the right way other anglers will be glad to help. A few things I can suggest is to make sure your presentation is as good as you can get it as small details can be the difference.

Another approach you can take is to pre-bait a few swims and leave them for a number of hours then return and hopefully the fish will be competing foryour freebies. This only generally tends to work moreon lakes that don't have too many anglers.

Hopefully you'll have caught by now but good luck anyway.

R

Roto Fryer

jamie why don't you read the challenging another forum thread and goalong and get some help from the lads or even a lesson from Ian Gemson. depending on where you live there are plenty onhere who would be happy to go out with you and give you some advice.

dean?o

Reaction score
Jamie,

i would suggest keep it simple mate. in todays fishing it can be over complicated, when it doesn`t need to be. i have always found the margins a good starting place and be sure to try and identify patrol routes. and a good quality bait will always come up trumps in the end mate. let us know how you do and good luck. it will come.