Spodding Particles

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I were to spod particles (small seeds) out into a depth of five foot, once the spod hits the water, what kind of spread would the particles give once they reach the bottom? Would it usually be a spread of about two foot in calm conditions.
And is there a rule of, the deeper the water, the wider the spread?
I have never used a spod before, so any advice would be helpful.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I would suggest that it all depends on the tow and how quickly the particles sink. If its within grounbdbait catapult range its sometimes easier to estimate with a quick sinking mix that eliminates the tow but is it really that critical, thats the question!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what I was thinking Graham, was to bait an area up whithout the use of groundbait.
I have been useing pva stockings for some dry particles and these obviousely got the particles right next to the hookbait.

What I want to do now is spread the particles slightly, instead of leaving little clumps if you see what I mean.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Baz I'm pretty sure that your casting, however accurate it is, will give more of a spread than will happen with the bait falling through the water. When I spod, I have mounds all over the place!

D

Deecy

Baz I have looked from a boat into a swim in which I have spodded particle.Unless there is absolutley no tow you will get spread if you use particles of differing size.Even then you will find heavier particles settle in one area and lighter ones on the fringes.If there is tow and most times there will be ,all the particles will drift with it so an even spread is only possible if you can determine which direction the drift is going.You can do this by casting a lead sinking the line and allowing it to drift, braid is better for this than nylon.Don't be fooled by suface drift this can be in the exact opposite direction to sub surface currents.I used to do this when after Roach on big stillwaters.It was then a case of casting the spod to the left if drifting to the right etc.It is a bit unscientific but gets you going in the right direction.If the water was over 10ft I put the spod away and used groundbait.Another option is to cast a spod widely around the marker.In one way tightly grouped feed can work against you.Big Tench Bream Carp need a bit of room and it makes themm a bit more susceptable to error.There is of course the option of an open ended feeder and repeated casting,unfashionable, cheap but effective.Good luck

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want to cover an area of approximately 8-10ft square. A catapult wouldn't take my bait far enough.
Maybe cast, and jerk the spod back when it hits the water?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some good pointers there lads.
I remember seeing Heapsy do it now I think.
He filled an open end feeder and plugged both ends with groundbait. He counted the feeder down, and jerked back when about two foot off the bottom.

L

Les Clark

Baz , I agree with Ric,you will get a good spread spodding with particle`s ,it depends how much you will spod and if you plug your spod every time you cast ,if you plug it ,it should fall in the area your spod hits ,if you don`t ,you will cover the water from the bank to the chosen area (and yourself ).
I find that putting a stone in the spod first helps with the casting ,as a spodfull of particles are a bit on the light side.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Les,
I will only be useing a pocket rocket, so I suppose I should plug the rocket with groundbait aswell.

L

Les Clark

Baz , That will be fine mate , but don`t get carried away Baz ,remember the old saying " you can put it in but you cant take it out ".
All the best Baz ,let us know how you get on .

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will mate.
If it's not snowing this weekend I will be giveing it a go.
I had a look at Stuart Denniss's articles on particles, so I'll probably run them through a blender aswell.

T

The Monk

Ive used a few of Phils DIY bits of tackle over the years and many work far better than anything I`ve bought on the market

W

Wolfman Woody

For up to 20 yards, Have you thought about a bait dropper. Lift it the moment it hits bottom.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woody,
I hadn?t thought of using a bait dropper, that will come in handy for a few of the spots I have got my eye on that are close in, but too far for pulting accurately.

Phil,
I don?t know how I missed that article, I will have to get working on it as my ultimate aim is to fish the ?big? water for the bream, and I could be looking at distances of 50 + yds.
Incidentally, I was talking to a chap with a fish finder on the big water, who showed me a photo of an 11.5 bream, caught at 25 yds.
I bumped into this same chap on another water where I spoke to the two Ians a couple of weeks ago. The contours of this smaller water are up and down like a fiddlers elbow. It?s amazing where the deeper holes are.
I have had lots of tench from this water recently, three of which were touching 5lb on other methods.
So why am I trying something that I haven?t done before? (spodding) I am trying to winkle one or two of the bigger tench out, that I believe are in there. This water must be teeming with natural food, so the potential looks good, I think.
If there are male tench averaging 3-4 lb does that give any indication on what the females might go to? Does anybody know?

Peter......
I wish I had a bait boat at times, as a couple of the lads very kindly boated some feed out for me to spots that were impossible to cast to. Even if I could have cast to these spots, I don?t think I would have done, as they looked hopeless. But a depthfinder showed differently, it was an eye opener. A person could spend some serious time on this smaller water and still be miles out with their mapping out of the lake bed. As for getting bait out anywhere, the best thing since sliced bread.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had the tench going nicely the other night Les, and they were getting progressively bigger, getting on for five pound.
Then instead of a beep, beep, beep, beep, I got a single beeeeeeep, youv'e guessed it, the culprit was a nuisance carp of 18 lb.