Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If I were to spod particles (small seeds) out into a depth of five foot, once the spod hits the water, what kind of spread would the particles give once they reach the bottom? Would it usually be a spread of about two foot in calm conditions.
    And is there a rule of, the deeper the water, the wider the spread?
    I have never used a spod before, so any advice would be helpful.

I would suggest that it all depends on the tow and how quickly the particles sink. If its within grounbdbait catapult range its sometimes easier to estimate with a quick sinking mix that eliminates the tow but is it really that critical, thats the question!

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

what I was thinking Graham, was to bait an area up whithout the use of groundbait.
    I have been useing pva stockings for some dry particles and these obviousely got the particles right next to the hookbait.

What I want to do now is spread the particles slightly, instead of leaving little clumps if you see what I mean.

Baz I'm pretty sure that your casting, however accurate it is, will give more of a spread than will happen with the bait falling through the water. When I spod, I have mounds all over the place!

Deecy Guest

Baz I have looked from a boat into a swim in which I have spodded particle.Unless there is absolutley no tow you will get spread if you use particles of differing size.Even then you will find heavier particles settle in one area and lighter ones on the fringes.If there is tow and most times there will be ,all the particles will drift with it so an even spread is only possible if you can determine which direction the drift is going.You can do this by casting a lead sinking the line and allowing it to drift, braid is better for this than nylon.Don't be fooled by suface drift this can be in the exact opposite direction to sub surface currents.I used to do this when after Roach on big stillwaters.It was then a case of casting the spod to the left if drifting to the right etc.It is a bit unscientific but gets you going in the right direction.If the water was over 10ft I put the spod away and used groundbait.Another option is to cast a spod widely around the marker.In one way tightly grouped feed can work against you.Big Tench Bream Carp need a bit of room and it makes themm a bit more susceptable to error.There is of course the option of an open ended feeder and repeated casting,unfashionable, cheap but effective.Good luck

I want to cover an area of approximately 8-10ft square. A catapult wouldn't take my bait far enough.
    Maybe cast, and jerk the spod back when it hits the water?

Some good pointers there lads.
    I remember seeing Heapsy do it now I think.
    He filled an open end feeder and plugged both ends with groundbait. He counted the feeder down, and jerked back when about two foot off the bottom.

Les Clark Guest

Baz , I agree with Ric,you will get a good spread spodding with particle`s ,it depends how much you will spod and if you plug your spod every time you cast ,if you plug it ,it should fall in the area your spod hits ,if you don`t ,you will cover the water from the bank to the chosen area (and yourself ).
    I find that putting a stone in the spod first helps with the casting ,as a spodfull of particles are a bit on the light side.

Thanks Les,
    I will only be useing a pocket rocket, so I suppose I should plug the rocket with groundbait aswell.

Les Clark Guest

Baz ,yes mate ,how far are you casting to ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast