Cancer research UK

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

There has been a lot of wildly inaccurate speculation on this thread.

If Charities accept donations from political organisations they risk loosing their charitable status.

S

swordsy

This is one for you to sort then Andy, its time for a change in the law. Cancer charities and charities that deal with terminal diseases, subjects which step beyond poitical point scoring need to be made excempt from that ruling and the onus of punishment shifted to the donating/political group if they tried to use the charity for their own agenda in any way.
that would allow the charity to accept more funding wihout beig used as a lobbying tool or emotional leverage point.

Anyway enough of that, who do you fancy for your Drennan cup then? :O)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I don't think Cancer Research UK is trying to act as some sort of moral bastion if it rejects donations from particular organisations, more that it has to be sensitive to public perceptions lest it lose the support of other potential donors. They would doubtless like to accept money from whatever source to enable them to pursue their objectives, but they run the risk that acceptance of funds from certain groups might alienate many would-be contributors.

They are in something akin to the proverbial cleft stick.

S

swordsy

Agreed Jim, but do you not think that to donate to a charity is or should I say should be a selfless act, with the donators not expecting anything back in return?

Little bit nieve on my part no doubt but I will drop a couple of quid in a bucket because I want a cure for cancer not because I expect any political gain or reap any social kudos.

David Paget

Reaction score
I think it is terrible all the widly inaccurate things that have been said on here about charities. Aside from the ?30,000 there is a much bigger issue here

Cancer Research is a hugely hugely expensive area. If charities are not run as efficiently as businesses they would make no progress. It makes me very very angry to hear nonsense like this spouted by otherwise sensible chaps.

Charity is not a scam in almost evry single case. In fact if you want to have your money well spent you are much much better off giving it to a large organsiation run by business minded professionals than a small well intentioned bloke doing it in his house. For some charities this works since the cause is simple. But in the case of cancer research the fact is the bigger the better.

Cancer Research UK have Nobel prize winning scientists breaking the back of an unbelievably complicated disease. To snipe like this at the people who could make a much better wage working in a commercial organisation is disgraceful.

Giving money to the hospital is all well and good and I'm sure very well handled, but that is not the root of the problem. Finding out the cause, how to treat it better and how to prevent it is the root and only research well tell you that.

Please have the humility to check your facts before you go on a rant that could harm the work of a wonderful charity

Sorry to rant but I feel very passionate about this.

M

madpiker

the next time that i get a charity tin from the rspca shoved towards me,perhaps i`ll tell them that i go shooting and fishing and ask em if they still want my money!not that i`d give any to them anyway!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
David Paget, you have popped up out of the blue with your post but you are entitled to do that. What started this thread in the first place was an outrageous stance by Cancer research that it wouldn't accept money from a gun club and theres nothing inaccurate in that statement they stated that.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What about executive officers of these charities on salaries of ?100,000 per annum --- hardly charitable on their part is it ???