Our country needs rain

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I do get a little cheesed off when the weather forecasters make grimaces about the fact that there may be a bit of rain about.

The truth of the matter is that we have had one of dryest winters on record and we desperately need some very heavy deluges, otherwise the coming summer could be a disaster for rivers, streams and still waters.

Lets hope we have lots of rain in the next few days, and let's not complain when it comes, but rather rejoice

I have seen some real droughts in my life and beieve me thay are not funny.

P

paul williams 2

Problem is though Ron that "the powers that be" are abusing our water ways and have little interest in them other than as drains, they build on flood plains, build flood defense systems and simply move the problem, allow "hidden" discharges etc etc.....so whilst i agree with you 100% about the need for rain and the dangers of low rivers it seems we can't win?

J

jason fisher

i disagree, we get quite enough of the stuff already we don't need more.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I'd like to put you in the middle of the Namib Jason without water.

In two days you would be on your knees praying for rain.

Rain is life, rain is beautiful.

And there would be no freshwater fish without rain.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yee who are of little faith, could have asked the Pope to pray for some.
But it's too late now, youv'e missed your chance.

P

paul williams 2

Perhaps the new man on the block will peece on you Baz?

A

Ashe Hurst

Im begging for long periods of rain. The Cray is lower now than last summer, even my boat gets grounded. Mud is exposed, weed is drying out and crunchy under foot, some sections have a very slight flow or at times like a mill pond. the fast flowing sections are full of exposed gravles, with dust and grit whiped up by the wind.

The EA assure me its not due to over abstraction, but lack of propper rain, also that rivers in the south are lower than normal summer time levels already in places. But being in the Thames Gateway, with new developments gone up, going up as i write and thousands more planned, wheres the water required going to come from and wheres the water treatment plants required going to be built, present ones cant cope as it is.

And the Gov are pumping some funds into urban environment projects that are to recieve all these new developments, but there seems to be no ongoing management planned.The only extra water i see going direct into the Cray comes from drainage off new developments.

So we need rain and plenty of it, not just the odd down poor, but persistant deluges, and if places flood, well, we all know why. Rather than build new flood defences to protect future developments, open the rivers up,de-culvert, open the flood plains, stop building on the bloody flood plains.

All these protection of this and that and a BAPs Bio Diversity Action Plan are not worth the paper they are printed on if the Gov and councils dont take notice of them.

why?

I would rather lose a seasons river fishing to rain and flood than lose the river.

J

jason fisher

there's plenty of water just get rid of half the people and stop needlessly importing more problem solved.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ron you are right on the money!
Around Bristol we are gagging for water, the local reservoirs are right down, we need it badly!

P

Phil Hackett 2

If you want rain move to bloody Manchester!
Coz we don't need it or want it! :0)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's flaming well raining again. More phone calls, why haven,t you cut me grass?

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
The chalk streams are in dire need of rain. They are already below summer levels. The problem is Rain dosn't have such an instant effect on chalk rivers as it does on normal rivers, the water filters down through the chalk and can take months to make its way back into the rivers through the springs. Thats why Chalk streams don't flood as dramatically as other rivers in times of heavy rain. things are looking grim in Hampshire.

On the Wandle in South London we have great problems with abstraction. Similar situation to what you mention on the cray Ashe. Though regarding the river, that stretch with thr boulders you helped us clear last year is looking good. Already the barble are settling there and its hoped the area will be used for spawning.

Cheers

Rich

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Richard,

All through the Woodford Valley above Salisbury the Hampshire Avon still has a decent level but that is mainly because it is being held back for the fly anglers I'd imagine.

I went for a walk along the SADAC stretch on Monday morning and that really does look very "sweet" at the moment.

Ron,
At the moment here in Zuid Holland it is rather like Manchester - pi$$ing down with rain and with people talking in a strange tongue that cannot be understood :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Easy for me that language Peter.

How many other languages do you speak? I have a friend who speaks English, German, French, Dutch, Afrikaans, Spanish and Italian.

He is also pretty good at Latin too. A South African who now works in the UK diplomatic service.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

My Zulu rain dance is working. It's raining in Rotherham.

Whoo Hooo!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,
Other than English then its four. Three fluently and one (French) like a 6th former :-(>

In my defence I am trying to learn Dutch though.

Tot Ziens

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PS - its still pi$$ing down here!!!!!!!

The Rhine (locally the River Merwede) is up about 1m 40cm right now and is causing me all sorts of problems as we try to load out some 700t of drilling modules.