EA Fishing Teach-In

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We rarely miss an opportunity to knock the EA when they get it wrong, so how about three cheers for a great initiative like this:

Hip, Hip..................

R

Ron Clay

But Graham, is this not the first step to a fishing "Test"?

In other words the sort of test that they do in Germany before s full licence is granted?

What do you think. Should a prospective angler have to take a test?

I can see both positive and negative aspects of this.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't think this initiative is anything to do with a test, just the EA trying to teach youngsters how good fishing can be and showing them the right way to handle fish.

I don't think a fishing test will make much difference to anything. As I said in another thread somewhere on this forum, driving tests don't stop idiots from driving like idiots after they've behaved themselves for half an hour while they pass the test.

R

Ron Clay

Yes that's true.

Do you have details of the German fishing test? I remember you writing of this some time ago in a publication.

A

Andy Thatcher

In reality the test isn't too tricky. One provision knowing german is an advantage ! I showed up at a local tackle shop asked where I could take the test. Went along to a local club and took it. Passed. Job done. Can't see it happening here though as we are by nature more rebellious to bureacracy than there. Take poll tax and the unwillingness to adopt a National ID card system for example.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron, I can't remember that piece about the test, but I can recall writing a joint article with a German angling friend.

R

Ron Clay

That's probabley where I got hold of the idea. Somehow my subconcious linked your joint article with the fact that in Germany they have to take a test.

D

David Will

I too recall reading about a German test and thought at the time what a superb idea it was.

R

Ron Clay

In terms of behavior on the bank, respecting wildlife and your quarry, Using properly balanced tackle in respect of the species you seek, yes It would be a good idea.

I had to clear up numereous bits of rubbish from a swim in the fens the other day - on June 18th it was too. I get very angry when I see litter left by anglers; and it was anglers!! Who leaves Sensas groundbait bags!

D

David Will

It would be interesting to see the German test on this site , translated for thickies like me.Perhaps a Germanic speaking angler could investigate ?