Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair rig

Default hair rig

Has anyone tried tying the hair rig so the hair comes off in front of the hook point instead of behind the hook shank?

I'm assuming that it wouldn't work but wondered if anyone had experimented with it?
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Sorry LP,but I cannot see what you're getting at....if are you talking of the knotless knot hair I assume you thread the line through the eye of the hook(before you begin winding line around the shank)from the front rather than the back to achieve what you're suggesting......maybe I'm missing the point!!

...do you have a pic-I think its an interesting question though and maybe has some merit....??

yes it's would be the knot less knot - tied just the same as normal but with the hair coming out of hte front of the hook so it hangs over the hook point

I've never even tied one let alone fished with one- but I was thinking would the fish see the bait and take it in the same way? - would the hook catch in the fish's mouth? would it turn over?

I may just tied one up and see what it looks like but to tell you'd need to fish with it

Just another of my ideas - and no this isn't my being daft - it's a serious question - so it's not in Baitbox
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

4. Default

I have tried this and found the results were good in general .
    I also simulate this by threading on some tube down the hair then over the hook point so that the hair comes right off the last bit of the point it seems to work ok can't say I have scientifically tested it over a long period against a normal rig but it is somthing I do every now and then just like wrapping the hair around the hook or lengthening and shortening hairs for a different presentation.
    It certainly looks very agressive and works on your hands and has caught me fish.

This should be in the "bait box"

Quote Originally Posted by noknot View Post
    This should be in the "bait box"
    I don't see why, I've seen several well known writers advocate wrapping the hair around the hook shank to cause the hook to flip, if it came off the inside of the bend this would have the exactly same effect. It wouldn't matter if it was wrapped ten times around the shank or came off the inside of the bend the effect would be exactly the same
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
    I don't see why, I've seen several well known writers advocate wrapping the hair around the hook shank to cause the hook to flip, if it came off the inside of the bend this would have the exactly same effect. It wouldn't matter if it was wrapped ten times around the shank or came off the inside of the bend the effect would be exactly the same
    Well Ray, as I see it, just by wrapping the "hair" around the shank it not a very reliable pesentation, surely better to have the hair fixed in position? Also with the hair comming from the front facing the point there is a higher risk for tangles, and even worst, the hook could hook into the bait on the cast which would mask the hook point. Most rigs are designed to allow the hook point to hang down so they catch the botton lip, but the hair from the front will not allow this to happen IMO.

I would hazard a guess that the hook would enter the mouth eye first as it's pulled in by the bait. Because the hook is effecitively the wrong way round in the carps mouth the point would be less likely to hook anything, particularly as it would be ejected bend first. I would guess you would catch carp on it but you're not stacking the odd in your favour.

I wasn't suggesting that it would necessarily be an improvement, merely that it should not be dismissed so out of hand. I personally think it would depend on the length of the hair and any effect would be marginal
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

As an aside;I'm not too sure what might be the optimum number of turns of line around the hook shank-I use 8/10 turns-when tying the knotless knot.....I catch fish without problems(I lose very few)so I see no reason to change this BUT would it be beneficial to add more turns.....any comments??

Dayglowfroggy.....I have never tried to use the tube you mention as I cannot see how you thread the line through the tube in the first place!!
    So,my question to you is obvious...what tube do you use and how do you add it to the line/braid??

What you say above is interesting(to me anyway!)and I shall carry out some experiments to see if it looks right but as the man said"if it ain't broke don't fix it"!!

LP..sorry to highjack your thread!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast