Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pylons

I've just found a delicious looking swim on a local river. It's got an incoming stream at it's upstream point; perfect for floods; and a nice steadily flowing run down the middle. To cap it all there's on overhanging tree at it's downstream end with a fair depth of water under it, and good flow. The swim isn't fished.

Sounds perfect?

Unfortunately there are electricity pylons nearby. These are the huge things that suspend the wires, I guess, 100 or so feet in the air. The swim is only 10 yards maximum from being directly underneath these. Saying that, there are trees between the swim and the pylons.

If I fished it I'd be using a 12 foot Avon.

Would I be risking my life?

Bully Guest

Well if you did kill yourself you could at least have made claim to being the worlds worse at casting a rod !

The only other way of getting in trouble is if you find a situation where the rig flies back out of the river (free up from snag, hook pull, worlds strongest strike) but you would need 100ft to spring out and up !!

Even then I am not sure if the electricity conducts down line.....anyone??

I'd say you would be fine, but also completely sensible in being cautious, and if you were at all worried, don't fish. You would only get one chance to get it wrong.

The point that some people don't realize about fishing under or near pylons is that electricity jumps, especially in damp, humid , or wet conditions. Your line doesn't have to actually touch the wires.
    I think 80yds away is the recomended distance??

In some clubs roveing on a river is not allowed because of the number of pylons about.
    Unless you are useing a glass rod.

Nylon's an insulator; the film of impure water round the line isn't.
    These things would have been designed so tall people walking underneath them, carrying things known to folks in the fifties and sixties (which does not include carbon fibre rods and poles ) would not be electrocuted. Very clever electrical engineers would have calculated the margin to a millimeter or so, then doubled it for safety's sake.
    For complete peace of mind, use a glass or cane rod. And cast underhand.

Cakey Guest

I thought pylons were 200 foot up

Cakey Guest

just done a search ...70 metres

And your point is.......

Cakey Guest

dont be a tit ! the power lines are 200 foot up which is better than a 100 foot up

Fair enough Cakey go and frizzle yourself then.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast