In Memory of ****.... Angling Times this week.

dezza

Reaction score
There are a couple of nice articles in Angling Times this week about **** Walker. One of them covers ****'s membership of the Buckingham & District AC and the other is a re-print of one of ****'s weekly articles in AT.

Pure Nostalgia.

I was in my late teens when the Photo of **** with a 5 lb Ouse chub was first published.

Angling Times is certainly worth it's one and a half quid this week.

There is also a two pager in Angling Star this month on Walker, but I'm not going to say who wrote it.

That would be telling.

;)

The bad one

Reaction score
There are a couple of nice articles in Angling Times this week about **** Walker. One of them covers ****'s membership of the Buckingham & District AC and the other is a re-print of one of ****'s weekly articles in AT.

Pure Nostalgia.

I was in my late teens when the Photo of **** with a 5 lb Ouse chub was first published.

Angling Times is certainly worth it's one and a half quid this week.

There is also a two pager in Angling Star this month on Walker, but I'm not going to say who wrote it.

That would be telling.

;)
Is Eric Hodgson's story about him in it Ron?

flightliner

Reaction score
Eric Hodson
I first met Eric in the very early eighties, we would discuss angling for hours. Sometimes in my dinner hour I would go around to his place of business and carry on the chats. He was a brilliant engineer, and a gentleman.

dezza

Reaction score
A slip on the keyboard there Ronald, but you knew who I ment Eric Hodson. I guess the story of the Ouse match between Walker and Stone and the fish in the net isn't there either?

There are so many stories that can be told about what Walker did, one has to draw a line somewhere.

Much of that story is told in "The Stone/Walker Letters".

The bad one

Reaction score
I first met Eric in the very early eighties, we would discuss angling for hours. Sometimes in my dinner hour I would go around to his place of business and carry on the chats. He was a brilliant engineer, and a gentleman.
Eric was all of those and more. Much of what he did doesn't get the credit it deserves.
However, he was adamant about the story Ron knows well about Walker.

dezza

Reaction score
I have known Eric longer than most others alive - 1962 or thereabouts.

He joined my group and became group sec.

One of the most vivid memories I have of Eric was sitting in a boat on Hornsea Mere, discussing how and why the calculus was invented. He, like myself loved mathematics. Then Eric went into a tirade about Isaac Newton and how that man had made the modern world, because without the mathematics of the calculus, the design of modern engines of motion would have been impossible.

In many ways Hodson could leave Walker behind, especially in the field of mechanical engineering.

But in truth, these two men, were the main instigators of modern angling.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Not more bloody Walker.

Ron,

You go on and on about Walker, but just how well did you know him ????? Not Very as I understand, it's just what you have read about Walker, like many others.

IMO Walker wasn't that great a angler, and you have said that yourself before Ron.

Can we have the mods lock or delete some walker threads. He was a small part of angling history, and that is it, it;s history.

Move on, there are far better anglers out there.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
And why is that Ron, because you didn't know Walker as you make out, or because Walker did as much for fishing as Eddie The Eagle Edwards did for ski jumping.

It's boring Ron, and you are non stop walker this and walker that, walker threads need locking, because you go over and over the same old ground.

Come upto date with the anglers of today, who are better anglers with some very good ideas.

Walker had his time, it time for others now.

dezza

Reaction score
Sorry but I do not suffer fools, and you are just a fool!

And on that note I think it's time for another thread, a rather sad one.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Ron,

Your the fool mate, stop throwing your toys out the pram.

If you knew walker that well you would have said so, but you didn't.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i didnt know him at all but read whatever i could by him, there may be better anglers now but in his day?Angling times have printed an article by him this week where he talks about the virtues of getting youngsters involved in fishing,something that is as true today as then.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Perhaps Ray,some people do like to read about Mr Walker.....and perhaps Ron,more than most,goes on about him,perhaps more than he should....BUT he he has the right to post about him doesn't he??

I read many Threads I go into that are not my cup of tea so I don't bother with them...I make a mental note and leave them alone especially if they are controversial.....and perhaps you should do the same as it obviously annoys you....

Please don't take offence but this is an open forum and for this reason its open to all-isn't it??

Reaction score
Not more bloody Walker.

IMO Walker wasn't that great a angler, and you have said that yourself before Ron.

Can we have the mods lock or delete some walker threads. He was a small part of angling history, and that is it, it;s history.

Move on, there are far better anglers out there.

As you said Ray (quote 'IMO') that is your opinion and the last time I looked FM had room for lots of opinions?

Maybe...

As an alternative to the above diatribe you could write an article for FM to convince us in a reasoned and balanced manner that 'there are far better anglers out there'.

Then we could all have a discussion and agree to disagree... :rolleyes:

Try asking who was the greatest striker in football history down the pub; some will say Pele and some deluded souls will say Rooney...

It's all subjective and everyone is surely entitled to express a view.

Last edited:

Muffin

Reaction score
I think we all know Walker was a fine angler, what the problem is is that some comments that I have read on FM regarding Walker appear to hold him in such high esteem that no other angler before or since has ever come close. (surely thats a matter of conjecture)

Most anglers I have met are reasonably open to disucssions and take on board other people's views, however thats not something I have ever seen so far from the 'Pro Walker' brigade.

So in my opinion what Ray has said is fair enough in regard there being better anglers than Walker, its a matter of what you grow up with.

The anglers who grew up with Walker will hold him in high esteem, I grew up with more recent anglers and as such I hold them in high esteem (eg John Wilson). It does not however make me so closed minded as to never appreciate other talented anglers who were around before I was born. (eg Walker)

Maybe if everyone was that open minded the Walker debate would be a healthy one, not one that just objects to every comment against Walkers ability.