Chatsworth Angling Fair

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I was chatting to a guy yesterday at Press Manor who had just come from Chatsworth.

He said it seemed much quieter than usual.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Sorry Ron,

I didn't realise you had started a new Chatsworth thread. I've just popped one up as well.

Bottom line, I thought this was the poorest Chatsworth show I've ever attended. Needs a big shake up. New faces and new ideas required.

Wonder how the stalls did financially?

davestocker

Reaction score
I put this on the other thread, too. I'm with Bob on this one and was going to post something similar, but was waiting for a form of words to come to me that that didn't sound negative, and wouldn't p**s the organisers off.

The joy of Chatsworth for me - and I've done many - was always the opportunity to meet people you haven't seen in ages, and to have the opportunity to speak with some of the sports alleged movers & shakers. How many fishing periodicals are there in the UK, and how many were represented at the event? Angling Star was there but Jim Baxter had gone walkies when I dropped in, and Fly fishing & Fly Tying was there but without the editor. EMAP & DHP and IPC titles had no presence, nor did many of the smaller mags. The EA didn't seem to have a presence, and the so-called governing bodies of our sport didn't seem to have anyone there formally. Nor was the Countryside Alliance's new campaigns director present. If those who are involved with the direction in which our sport is heading don't think it's worth their while attending, then it speaks volumes as to how Chatsworth is perceived. But this is Fishing Magic. Let's be positive. Let's ask others who've been how could Chatsworth could be revived. It really seems to need it.

G

Ged

Went on Saturday, found it very quiet and smaller than last year. Not as many bargains though had plenty of time and room to roam and look at what was there. Enjoyed John Wilson's presentation.
Managed to get some bargains but other items seamed expensive or usual shop price.
There wasn't much touting going on from the different organisations. In the past I have been stopped by people helping out at the Salmon and Trout Association, Grayling Society and others.
I was impresseed with the Stolen Tool Company.

G

Ged

No, but my mate baught a spirit level to go with his horse.
By the way Ed, there wasn't any cars sales this year!

J

John McLaren

Is the problem that there are now too many of these shows?

Apart from the mammoth "Go Fishing" that was only a few weeks back there is a rolling programme of tackle shows going around the country plus a whole range of other "Country Shows" perhaps the supply is starting to outstrip the demand.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Yes there are but this should create competition and a rise in standards.

It's the same old stands at every one of these shows - that hardly changes. What makes a show visiting is the added features and attractions. Otherwise we're paying ?8 or whatever (per head), plus petrol and incidental costs, to go shopping.

Would you go to Meadowhall, Blue Water, Meriden or the Trafford Centre if it cost ?8 a head to get in?

I suspect you wouldn't.

The show owners have been making a mighty fine living out of our greed for perceived bargains but it can't go on forever in the face of extra competition and falling satndards.

C

Carl Madigan

Hi Bob,

It's the only place I get to buy decent flytying materials I can actually handle before I buy. If lakeland flytying weren't there it would barely hold interest for me. Eight quid is still cheaper than petrol money to drive to their shop. I picked up something I ordered from Fly Only and had a laugh at some of the daft prices that coarse tackle was been dumped on the market for. I can't believe the amounts that these people make on fishing tackle. Surely we as consumers understand that teh tackle shops need to earn their money to stay in business? Keepnets for under a tenner? Freespool reels for a fiver? What chance does your local shop stand when people save up to go to these shows and expect to stock up on tackle at prices that must cripple the companies selling them, never mind the competition. Given that they have to pay wages and rent selling space at extortionate prices are they actually breaking even?

Did the lures work on the marsheer?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Carl,

I have your business card in my pocket as I type and will be sending you a long email as soon as I get a chance. Things have been pretty hectic since I returned.

Yes, the lures worked but my stash of them went walkabouts somewhere in the middle of nowhere part way through the trip!

I learned quite a bit about the use of lures in deep, fast water and fishing them in the dark, too. More later.

Bob

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Carl

Your email is not working, I'm getting no response on the mobile and there's no contact details in your profile....

Bob

C

Carl Madigan

Thanks for the copy article Bob. Sounds like a real adventure. Shame about the lures vanishing. Anytime you want to try plugging for pike over here give me a shout. I can't promise tigers or dysentery though.....

B

Bob

I went on Sunday with my wife, as I have for the last 10 years. I agree with Bob Roberts, it was very poor.
Personally I think it was like a fishing car boot sale. I wanted to buy a couple of items of quality gear but all I saw was shoddy rubbish. If you wanted a keepnet, landing net, chair, brolly or a reel with unrecognisable names for a tenner each, then you were in luck. I came away with nothing for my ?16 entrance fee and probably won't bother again.
Bob

C

Carl Madigan

You didn't see people leaving with a lot. I didn't think the demonstations we're up to much either. If it wasn't for the fly tying gear I wouldn't bother. Went to the Go fishing show for the first time this year and its very coarse/carp orientated. It seems a pity that this sport is so full of individuals so desparate for giveaways that it degenerates into this. I might well skip it next year and go to the game show instead.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The only reasons I go to Chatsworth is for the clothes, the fly tying gear and a chance to meet a few old friends.

Me and Ed walked into this tent where they were selling such things as carp rods for a tenner and keepnets for a fiver etc.

You could see it was junk that they were selling. Personally I wouldn't be seen dead with it.

M

madpiker

well i suppose you could use those cheap rods for what theyre best suited for...................growing sweetpeas on.