Goodbye.

dezza

Reaction score
After almost 10 years membership and regular contact with Fishing Magic, nearly 29,000 posts, many articles and also many fish-ins organised, it is now time for me to leave.

I do get the impression that perhaps I have outstayed my welcome. But a lot of my friends have left too. It's a great pity but FM is not the friendly site it once was. And being mindful of what Fred J Taylor one said if you're not enjoying it: "I'll be glad when I've had enough of this".

Well I have had enough of what is taking place on this site.

Maybe there is room for another friendly site full of fun. If there is, that's where you might see me in future. And after all, that's what fishing is supposed to be - fun.

Cheers and thanks

Ron Clay

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Stop throwing your toys out the pram Ron. You have done this many many times before Ron.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
See you later.
Personally i find this site friendly and informative, so unless I've got my head firmly up my backside and can't see it. I can't see what the problem is.
The king is dead, long live the king.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
So long Ron, I know I've tried to wind you up often, but you rarely take the bait, I guess it's the depth of angling experience that's steered you clear of by clumsily baited swim :)

Seriously you will be yet another big loss for F.M. I completely understand your outlook and I'm not far behind you, It would seriously upset me to leave but I don't think I want to see too much more of this.

So without anymore sarcasm or winding up, I'd like to say I've enjoyed reading your work both in print and on screen over the many years we've been acquaintances, you have lived through so many seasons and shared so many experiences with us I'm sorry to see you go.

Tightlines and respect,
Scott.

preston96

Reaction score
Ron, i hope you come back, perhaps just for Ed when/if he returns?:D

The Monk

Reaction score
Not you too mate, you cant leave, apart from Ed, I`ll be the longest poster if you do. Just do what i dont dont get involved and just visit occassionally, I think we have to accept its never going to be like it was with graham running the show, but the new lads are making an effort and we should still support them for Graham sake if nothing else and its still not a bad site really

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Ron, although we probably would'nt 'get on' as long as we'd holes in our proverbials, I genuinely would be sorry to see YOU go.

Alway's make me laugh with your wind-ups, especially when poster's keep going on after all has been exposed, that shows the quality of the wind-up.

Your knowledge is second to non on all aspects of freshwater angling and your input really would be sorely missed.

You are the one person that I would sincerely ask to reconsider.

brian01

Reaction score
Ron,

You are the ONLY ONE that alway's make me laugh with your wind ups, and I would like for you to reconsider.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Sorry to see that Ron has joined the throng of miseries leaving FM. If I chucked my toys out of the pram every time an editor ran the red pen through my copy, I would have run out of work 20 years ago.

I am minded of an old friend of mine who said he was leaving the union because he didn't like the direction it was heading. As I pointed out to him, if he'd come to all the meetings and voted, and stood for election to one of the administrative posts, he wouldn't have to leave - he could just push for change.

FM may have lost a few of its old friends - and that really saddens me - but it will make new friends.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sorry to see that Ron has joined the throng of miseries leaving FM. If I chucked my toys out of the pram every time an editor ran the red pen through my copy, I would have run out of work 20 years ago.
It wasn't because of any editing or moderation, Mark. I have spoken to Ron and he was very upset with what he termed rude comments from other members, but after a little persuasion, I reckon he'll be around on FM a lot longer than most of us!

richiekelly

Reaction score
It wasn't because of any editing or moderation, Mark. I have spoken to Ron and he was very upset with what he termed rude comments from other members, but after a little persuasion, I reckon he'll be around on FM a lot longer than most of us!

i hope your right jeff, i would hate to see this site going the same way as others that allow slanging matches to go on and others that have been closed such as the AT forum.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
I do get the impression that perhaps I have outstayed my welcome. But a lot of my friends have left too. It's a great pity but FM is not the friendly site it once was. And being mindful of what Fred J Taylor one said if you're not enjoying it: "I'll be glad when I've had enough of this".

Well I have had enough of what is taking place on this site.

Maybe there is room for another friendly site full of fun. If there is, that's where you might see me in future. And after all, that's what fishing is supposed to be - fun.

Cheers and thanks

Ron Clay

This is the reason the site isn't fun anymore, posts like this. You are being very hypocritical Ron, it's a shame you and the others don't realise it, it's you who made it so miserable.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
This is the reason the site isn't fun anymore, posts like this. You are being very hypocritical Ron, it's a shame you and the others don't realise it, it's you who made it so miserable.

It's Ron and some of the others who have made the site what it WAS.

Some weeks, if it wasn't for Ron and a few of the others who have left, there would hardly be a thread worth reading. It doesn't matter how many lurkers there are, they won't come in if there's nothing worth coming in for. Look at what's going on at the moment in the forums, is there anything worth logging on for?

matt1960

Reaction score
IMO, Rons a great poster, and undoubtedly a very good fisherman.
I am fairly new here, and I, for one, wish to learn a lot more from others. In return, I may be able to share some of my experiences too.
But I have noticed that Ron seems to be a bit of a 'whipping boy' for hilarity. And thats fine, if he does not mind it. But I think there are a few that step over the line, and some comments seem quite malicious toward him.
I cannot see why this should be so.

To me this site is about learning, and for that to happen, there has to be people willing to give up freely their hard earnt knowledge. IMO Ron is one of those.

Matt

Rickrod

Reaction score

Im sorry Nick But how can Ron make this site miserable . Ron has shared a lot of anglings history on here which i would of never of heard about . Hes done loads of interesting threads and many atime when the site has been slow hes put a thread out which has got a few bites and got the site ticking over again . If you think the site is miserable why are you here

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
You'll find that most of Nick's posts don't actually make sense, he seems to enjoy it.
Im sorry Nick But how can Ron make this site miserable . Ron has shared a lot of anglings history on here which i would of never of heard about . Hes done loads of interesting threads and many atime when the site has been slow hes put a thread out which has got a few bites and got the site ticking over again . If you think the site is miserable why are you here

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Such a shame really. I came to the site very recently, too recently to have seen anything of the problems. Already a few of those with whom I have had interesting posts have gone. All snatched away just as they came within reach. Some of whom just came back into that reach after some decades of my wandering a fishless wilderness.

Best of luck to you all, wherever you have gone.

brian01

Reaction score
I have spoken to Ron and he was very upset with what he termed rude comments from other members, but after a little persuasion, I reckon he'll be around on FM a lot longer than most of us!

Good on you BOSS well done.
I can't wait untill Ron posts again as he is the ONLY ONE that gets me laughing. ;):D

Ian Morgan

Reaction score
As someone who has 'lurked' on an almost daily basis for at least 4 or 5 years, but only occasionally posted...

If I were to start a thread...

"Who's contributed the most to the FM forums over the years?"

My number one vote would be Ron Clay.

Ian

PS. I agree FM is not what it was, but the difference is small compared to others....whereas FM used to be the 3lb (river!) roach of angling websites, now it's 'just' a 2-15!