Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I usually use two rods when fishing, but when I take my 11 year old daughter can she also use two rods?

I was thinking of setting up my rod pod and letting her use the rod nearest to her as well as a float rod to keep her interested, but as she doesn't yet need a rod and line licence I wondered if there is any rules I don't know about.

Phil Hackett 2 Guest

My understanding is that under 12s are entitled like any other angler to use up to a maximum of four, if the club, fishery’s owner allows that many to be used.
    Whether this is desirable, practical etc, given the young persons skill level is a matter for debate.

Wolfman Woody Guest

Good point, Clive!

The fact that we need one licence for two rods and two licences for 3 or 4 rods. One imagines that a youngster could use two quite legitimately since that is what one licence would allow them. However, since they have to buy the second licence either, they could use 4. In fact, if they are not governed by the licencing rules at all, they could use ten if they wished, I suppose.

Like Phil says though, would you want them to use more than 2?

Wolfman Woody Guest

"However, since they DON'T have to buy the second licence either, they could use 4."

Corrected!

Blog Entries

Not that I'd want to argue with Phil, but my understanding is slightly different.

The fact that under 12's do not need a licence is by concession.
    The concession is granted against the ordinary (adult) licence which is normally for 2 rods.
    Therefore I'd suggest that 2 rods would be allowable.

I fully agree with Phil though on the topic of 4 rods versus a youngster's skill level.

Interesting question.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

The Monk Guest

so If I fill my bivvy with loads of under 12 year olds, I can legally set up loads of rod pods full of rods, two per each kid in the bivvy?

I can see great potential here for the child care orientated time bandit!

Blog Entries

Oh you can just imagine it, can't you?

Uncle Monk, I'm thirsty
    Uncle Monk, I need the toilet
    Uncle Monk, Johnny has eaten all yer boilies
    Uncle Monk, Chrissy has fallen in the lake
    Uncle Monk, Johnny's been sick all over yer bedchair
    Uncle Monk, Christian just stepped on your rod pod and bust it
    Uncle Monk, I'm hungry
    Uncle Monk, can we have Ice Cream?

Nope, I'll stick to fishing on my own or with grown ups - or what passes for them at any rate :-)

Uncle Monk, Ron's just fired your catapult at that copper and he's bleedin'mad about it too.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

The Monk Guest

hahahahahahaha, yes that brings back some memories mate!!, the things you have to do to cast a few extra rods out haha

Phil Hackett 2 Guest

Peter it is an interesting question so I'll make some inquiries from people I know who were involved in the negotiations with the EA about the 4 rod limit………..Later!

I echo your first posting Phil.

And the Monk aint joking either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast