Are Pike Next ?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After the specimen caught tench on the pole, and carp fishing on the pole, what are your thoughts on pike on the pole?
It has been done, albeit accidentally, sometimes it is not so much of an accident either.
But I wonder how long it will be before it becomes an accepted method by some?
I don?t think it is as mad as it sounds, I am against it, but what are your thoughts on this.

M

madpiker

there was a feature in one of the weeklies a few years ago,about some bloke that use a pole for pike fishing on the fens.he used a 4 inch dead roach with no less than 3 trebles on the trace.the method that he used was a sort of jigging on the far bank.personally,i wouldn`t like it to become popular,as i think that using a pole would necessitate playing the fish to exhaustion before netting it.i know very little about pole fishing,but i`ve witnessed several carp having tobe "played out" before netting.this would be bad for pike and lead to a few deaths,especially in the warmer months.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree Piker,
but there are those who would try to convince us otherwise, all in the name of progression.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We don't need anything new in angling, all we have to do is make proper use of what we already have.

Joskin

Reaction score
If its going to be bad for the fish then obviously you shouldnt do it. But if there is no reason other than the fact that somone is doing somthing different that you dont want to do yourself or just because you are of the opinion that "we dont need anything new in angling" then it is pretty sad.
If fishing for pike with a pole is safe for the fish then I dont see why people shouldnt do it if thats what they enjoy.

At the end of they day we all fish the way we do because that is what gives us the most pleasure be it Float, Feeder, Pole, Centerpin or sitting in a tent behind a barrage of rods and alarms.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think fishing for pike with a pole is okay Jos?
And you know all there is to know about water craft, baits, and what equipment to use then do you? (RE your remark about being pretty sad over not needing anything new in angling).

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There are limits to what you can do with a pole and pike fishing is one of them.

No objection to putting a deadbait under the trees on the other side of a canal or drain though.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or a baitboat could do the same job, and even better if there are lots of overhanging branches.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Carp take off at terrific speeds, as well as pike, so what's the difference? Providing a trace is being used. Personally I don't agree with either.

L

Les Clark

Baz you have put some crap threads up in your time ,but this is top of the crapheap .
You disagree with it ,so bother ?
Are you seeking attention ?
Are you trying to make a name for yourself ?

Joskin

Reaction score
No Baz I personaly wouldnt fish for pike with a pole.
You would have to use a super strength elastic through a blody landing net handle to tame a Specimen Pike and that would probably kill or seriously injure a fish. and I dont beleive that anyone would want to do that unless they are poachers wanting to take the pike for the table.

And to answer your other question No I dont know everything there is to know about angling and never implied that I did.
If someone develops a new method of fishing then I wont be against it and dont see why anyone should be either. If it helps me to enjoy my sport I will try it. If you dont want to try it then you dont have to.

F

Frothey

yep les, and the muppets just gone and sown that idea in someones mind......

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's not so crap as it sounds then is it Frothy/Les.
And it has been done before. There have been lots of suggestions on here in the past that take some beleiveing.

Joskin,
that's fair enough, but all I am saying is we have lots of methods and other things to learn, whithout going to the extreme.
No need to get personal lads.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's okay to say fishing under pylons is okay is it then?
I didn't see your silly name calling on that thread Frothy. You have some strange ideas lad.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had just got back from fishing when I saw the postings by Frothy and Les.
Frothy says -:
yep les, and the muppets just gone and sown that idea in someones mind......
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
what a really pathetic statement that is.

In that case we had better have the threads taken off where we talk about the anti's or the keepnets thread, or the barbel in stillwaters thread, or the over stocking thread.
All amunition against anglers in parts, just incase you two have not realised it.
I could say a lot more, but what is the point?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Joskin says -:
If someone develops a new method of fishing then I wont be against it and dont see why anyone should be either. If it helps me to enjoy my sport I will try it. If you dont want to try it then you dont have to.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...
I am talking of pike on the pole here Joskin, and just like you I would not do it.
I have already said twice, that there are plenty of methods in fishing that we should try.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This site has a reputation for being a sensible place for intelligent and serious anglers to pass information and ideas with a little goodhearted banter thrown in.

You, with ridiculous threads like this and others you have posted does this site no credit whatsoever and only serves to highlght your ineptitude.