Barbel

D

Dave Johnson

tell you what Sedge, people who have not fished the Dove must wonder what we are on about....

I cannot remember fish going off like this before. I have always rated Dove fish above those from the Severn, Trent but this year seems incredible. If you are fishing a peg that you cannot get up and follow em down, then its very hard to stop em-and I am not talking monsters, fish from 6lb upwards all seem intent on taking you to the Trent confluence!!!!

D

Dave Johnson

OK Brummy, you are old enough to pretend to be my dad, you can 'guest' on his ticket....Pop.

As for long range casters, I had to travel 40 miles on Tues to get five pints........

P

Paul Williams

Hope you were brought up to look after the "old man"......like get up and go to the bar....and pay :)......mind you i don't whinge like Skive on those long walks!!.... :)

D

Dave Johnson

went back to that pub on Tues Paul, bloody nectar!!!let me know on the Dove ticket, no rush I dont think.-you can pass as my dad as long as you keep ya mouth shut...LOL

MMMMmmm, the walk, Skive is getting like Graham the carpark. it did him in again Tuesday, still, its a long walk to blank on......ha,,,,ha....ha

S

Stuart Johnson

Hmmmm Walk. Its a bloody long hike. Anyway I may look young, fit, athletic and a babe magnet. But looks can be deceiving. So show some respect to your elders you young whipper snapper.

B

Birds Nest

what stretch are you fishing ? I might try to catch up with you one evening.. See how the pro's do it..

D

Dave Johnson

cOTON-IN-THE-CLAY Birdy boy......strong tackle rquired-say no more-read the thread on coarse ......

D

Dave Johnson

Am going SAT NIGHT if you fancy it ......let me know. Makew up a threesome with Mike Fidler........maybe a foursome cum to think.....

D

Davy North

The Des Taylor article got a mention on A Fishermans Blues on Talk Sport Radio this morning.

According to Kieth Aurther he has never, ever known a matchman break off a fish on purpose, and Des Taylor writes these things just to provoke a reaction.

What do you think?

P

Paul Williams

As i said earlier, journalistic crap.....if you purposely broke off the bigger barbs to land twice the number of smaller ones in the same time you would be on for some huge previously unheard of bags!!!!....if you could retie quick enough!!!
Plenty of match anglers break of on barbs, but not intentionly.

B

Birds Nest

Ahhh Sadly boys I'm in Dubai until Late sunday !! Might take a look next week mind you.. Is it day ticket ?

R

Ron Clay

I spoke to a couple of match fishing friends last Friday and they said NO WAY do we ever consider pulling for a break on a big fish.

Maybe Des should tell us where he got his information

J

John Tait

"I cannot remember fish going off like this before. I have always rated Dove fish above those from the Severn, Trent but this year seems incredible. If you are fishing a peg that you cannot get up and follow em down, then its very hard to stop em-and I am not talking monsters, fish from 6lb upwards all seem intent on taking you to the Trent confluence!!!!"

Tell me about it !! - last week I was asking Graham to send some of the barbs he had been catching up to Doveridge. He must have done so, last Friday I had my first of the season, from a new area (well, new to me anyway). Just the one bite, at just after 11pm., good scrap on 6lb. Fireline and an Avon rod. Guesstimated the weight at 7-8 lb. Went back last night - same pitch, again just the one bite, and spookily enough, again just after ``pm ( Doveridge church clock had just finished chiming the hours ). But this time . . .

Two little `taps` on the rod-tip, I struck, and line was INSTANTLY being taken against the clutch - I was using 8lb. Fireline on the Barbel rod this time, but had not a cat in hells chance of stopping this fish - nor even making it pause in it's attempt to get down to Burton. I have never felt that sort of power from a fish before.
And I have had barbel (from the Dove) up to 8lb. 12oz., and carp up to 28lbs.

I suppose that it may have been foul-hooked, but even so the power of the fish was phenomenal - the barbel rod is now spooled-up with 14lb. Fireline again, with a 12lb. Merlin hooklink. If that doesn't hold it . . . . . .

Jonty

J

John Tait

Oops, sorry - should have read `again just after 11pm` - not ``pm.

Jonty

S

Stewart Bloor

Jonty, I thought you were being ultra secretive there...not even letting us know the time...

I had another couple of good Dove barbel last night. Certainly 'arm achers', didn't go ballistic, but would have done if I had let them...just about managed to tame them.

P

Paul Scattergood

Far as iam concerned what Des Taylor knows about matchfishing can be written on the back of a fag packet, sheer sensationalism. Also iam a little disappointed by the attitude of certain contribitors to this forum who label those of us who fish matches as money orientated morons. As an angler who fishes matches and enjoys fishing in all of its's various guises I find these comments offensive & yet another indication of the stab in the back attitude of anglers in general. With regard to PETA god help us, you should be ashamed!! Maybe i'll find another site with a more tolerant attitude to ALL ASPECTS OF THE SPORT.......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I take your point about the attitude towards match fishing of some anglers on this forum, but don't you think you would be better trying to educate them rather than running off to another forum - where you will find the same diversity of opinion anyway (unless the moderator is a matchman and stifles adverse opinion).

Surely it's got to be better for everyone, including yourself, and match anglers like you, if you put your point of view across. If everybody does a runner every time they read something they don't like there won't be any forums anywhere, apart from sterile ones where everyone just pats each other on the back and says "I agree." And how long would that last, I wonder?

As for your comment "Maybe I'll find another site with a more tolerant attitude to ALL ASPECTS OF THE SPORT......" Let's be clear that this site IS tolerant of all aspects of the sport, and will remain so as long as I edit it. Of course, just as we tolerate your comment we also tolerate everyone elses and can't be responsible for the attitude of our forum users.

Maybe there are other match anglers who have thrown the towel in, which could explain why the balance of opinion is weighted against you.

R

Ron Clay

I would like to know Paul, what you mean by "Peta -God help us, you should be ashamed?"

P

Paul Scattergood

Maybe I got a little hot headed, but anglers in the press, on the internet etc are always slagging each other off. What does it matter wether you match fish or cast the fly let's stick together. As for you labelling me a matchman Iam an ANGLER who enjoys the fly, Sea and River on my own or the crack in a match, were all the same one and all.
With regard to PETA while we are argueing amongst ourselves these people have a well organised cohesive attitude towards their objectives something some anglers just don't understand.
As I said i got a bit hot headed & understand a forum must air all view points. During the past few months i've enjoyed the humour and banter, long may this continue , Des's & others comments made on this forum with regard to fish welfare and match anglers could not be further from the truth in my experiance.