Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbel

Ron Clay Guest

I see that Des Taylor is sounding off about match anglers who pull for a break if they hit a big barbel, prefering to catch the smaller fish. Des says that 3 smaller barbel can be landed in a shorter time that 1 big one and thus make up more weight.

I see something wrong here. Deliberately leaving hooks in fish is not right at all.

Would matchmen actually do such things?

I hope not.

John Tait Guest

Money doesn't talk, Ron - it shouts. Certain elements of the match-fishing fraternity would, I am sure, deliberately break on a fish if they thought that continuing to play it would disadvantage them. The same scenario has been apparent in the past on the carp-stocked match waters - but now the anglers are using gear which will handle the bigger fish, the practice does seem to have died out.

Jonty

Ron Clay Guest

The problem is that I am now a sentimental old fart who probably should be measured up for a wooden overcoat.

The catching of fish to enable one man to compete with another man and thereby to win money may be totally morally wrong.

Why don't they play darts instead?

John Tait Guest

The competition itself may not be morally wrong, but the ethos of `breaking-off` on purpose most certainly is. To me, anyway. Maybe I am also an old fart !! - my lads would probably agree !!

Jonty

Andy Thatcher Guest

Well I'm in my mid 30's so I'm not an old fart and find the practise abhorent ! How's that for sitting on the fence !

Going back to Practical Coarse Fishing by Graham his chapter on barbel mentions this problem and that was in 1980 so it isn't new. Hold on not quite the same he covers people using inadequate tackle but I think it amounts to the same thing as the person would realise if there are barbel present as it would have been discussed before hand.

That the same issues have not been addressed and resolved is the worrying thing for me. Although how one would set about it is obviously a problem.

Deliberately breaking off on fish for any reason is wrong. And using inadequate tackle when you know for a fact that you're going to hook something you can't handle is wrong too. However, tackling up to catch small fish and accidentally finding yourself attached to a big one is another matter.

The sad fact is that even if you could legislate against deliberate break-offs it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to the 'anglers' who do such things. It's in their character and you can't legislate for that; you can't make a caring angler out of one who doesn't give a toss.

Andy Thatcher Guest

I have had the occasional barbel come along whilst river roaching in winter. So realise that you can plan but not predict, if we could I don't think I'd go ! I was lucky enough only to lose one. The feeling of remorse was so strong I packed up.

Do match anglers only see fish as commodities to benefit themselves with money and the social kudos of being a winner ? That is a worrying thought.

To heavy for me I'm off barbelling !

Ron Clay Guest

Yes Andy I think they do. That may be one of the reasons why match angling was banned in Germany.

Chris Bishop Guest

What do people think comparing this to the Duffers on the Dove thread where people speak about busting off on a few...

Davy North Guest

I must admit I was appauled when I read a well known matchman state he would beef his line up to 1.7lb if barbel were his target! Do me a favour, you'd have no chance with a decent barbel or chub for that matter in a snaggy swim on 1.7, and even in a clear swim you'd have to play them to deaths door.

Mindless and irresponsible.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast