Childrens delight/plight

D

David Robichaud

I have two daughters aged 8 and 4 and I recently introduced my youngest to fishing on my local water. Using a 3 metre whip, with 4lb line to a size 16 hook. The sheer delight on her face was a joy to see when she pulled in her first fish, a roach of about 2oz. But that is where it ends, because of the lack of facilities in Sussex, where a parent can take his children to teach them the basics of fishing, without being charged an astronomical sum. Where have all the free waters gone?
I understand that clubs have the upkeep of their waters to think about, I for one cannot afford ?15 a day to teach my children to fish, as much as I would like to it is just impossible. Isn't it about time that clubs either introduced a family membership or that a full membership entitles that member, to bring his children along to instruct them up until the age of twelve when thay have to purchase a licence. In Canada a child fishes on their parents licence until they are twelve, and that means anywhere they would like to fish be it private or public waters. So come on you clubs and private waters give the children a break, because they are our future Andy Littles'.

David.

C

Carp Angler

Luckily enough for me, there is a under 16's only free water in the new forest where I will take my kids when they are old enough. Without this water there would be nothing in my locale and I wouldn't be able to afford to take my or other peoples kids fishing. Is this something that should be the responsibility of the local council?

Should local tackle shops and manufacturers be sponsoring these lakes?

Should money from the rod licence be put back into the sport for the kids?

It appears that people just want to take money from the sport and not put anything back for the future of the sport.

Without these kids there will be no future.

D

David Robichaud

Carp Angler: When I posted this I was dismayed by my local associations reaction to my suggestions. How does the song go Money, Money, Money in a rich mans world. And so it is, so come on lets campaign for our kids. Their future is in our hands. My apologies for the amount of time taken but I was unable to get into the forum.

David

R

Roger Carey

I could'nt aggree more with your view david. I am very lucky to fish a local stretch of canal rented by a local club. They charge ?4 for the year book and my 2 youngest sons (10 and 13)fish free as my guest. The clubs philosophy is that its better that kids are doing something constructive rather than hanging around the streets.

D

David Robichaud

Since I first posted this, the local council water has now opened up their water to free fishing for juniors under 12 so long as they are with an a paid up adult. This is a first and I hope that other waters will follow suit. There is hope yet. But we still need more. Let the under 12's fish free so that they can learn from people like us and others. It would be great if some of the top anglers would give their time free to teach juniors around the country.