Is Angling Racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I would say that angling is no more or less racist than any other facet of life in this country.

In many/most cultures, fishing is mainly regarded as an activity to obtain food and therefore isn't regarded as a leisure activity. I have in the past fished with an Anglo Indian guy and a Nigerian, they both enjoyed fishing for sport and as far as I know never endured any racism, there certainly wasn't any within my earshot.

richiekelly

Reaction score
no angling is not racist but all races in the world have sections among them that are and that will never change no matter what,when i lived in lincolnshire i fished near some polish anglers and when i tried to speak to them they were very offhand were they racist because i am english?

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Great stuff!!! It appears the vast body of anglers in the UK may be made up of what we sometimes call 'working class' white men. If you move among this sector of society you will indeed hear very narrow views expressed about race, nationality, women etc. I have met exactly one 'mixed race' angler on the bank in 35 years. I would expect people of 'colour' to be exposed to some intolerant views on the bank, as would women anglers, this is based on personal observation. I certainly suspect the banksides can be intimdating places - there's a branch of this sport where men dress in a military style and behave in a very insular way which many might find unwelcoming. All of this points to an understandable conclusion that angling might be a 'racist' pastime if you are a Guardian journalist....

noknot

Reaction score
Not where I live, and actually it's the compleate opposite, as the local people seem to love seeing a "Gwilo" fishing and are amazed at how we look after the Carp (mats, slings ect) and then gasp as we slip them back!But this is in Hong Kong, and maybe people here have a different outlook to that in the UK?;)

richiekelly

Reaction score
Not where I live, and actually it's the compleate opposite, as the local people seem to love seeing a "Gwilo" fishing and are amazed at how we look after the Carp (mats, slings ect) and then gasp as we slip them back!But this is in Hong Kong, and maybe people here have a different outlook to that in the UK?;)

is that what i am then a gwilo,ive been called worse(i think)

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Angling isn't racist...

You don't see many Paki's on the golf course, or a pheasant shoot...

Why is angling any different?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
When I was a lad I used to go fishing with Winston, a West Indian School friend. We lost touch and the last I heard was that he was married with two children, I often wonder whether young Perlon and Dacron will follow in their fathers footsteps.

Ian Morgan

Reaction score
At the risk of being the first to bite...

Mark...can I take you reply as a 'wind up'...as they say?

Ian

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Ian....

Wind up - No.

Deliberatly thought provoking (and such creating a healthy debate) -yes.

Intending offence. No.

Last edited:

Crazyhazy

Reaction score
Just had a read through this, the whole thing really winds me up. Go back a few years, there was a film about basketball called 'White men cant jump'!! Can you imagine bringing a film out and calling it 'Black men cant swim'???
The whole country is now nothing but a joke.
There - rant over

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Just had a read through this, the whole thing really winds me up. Go back a few years, there was a film about basketball called 'White men cant jump'!! Can you imagine bringing a film out and calling it 'Black men cant swim'???
The whole country is now nothing but a joke.
There - rant over

The reason this sort of thread is usually stopped is because they usually deteriorate into b0llocks like this and some of the others on here.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Personaly i dont give a monkies when i,m fishing or for that matter walking the dog or shopping , who talks to me , as long as he gives me the respect that i give him or her , black white pink or green , polish tasmanian greek or outer mongloian . i take a person how i find them until given reason to dislike. No i dont like many things thats happening to this country as a whole but its never going to change now so why the hell moan about it , just go fishing and forget the ............ lot. tight lines all.

Harvey

Reaction score
Many imigrants come from countries where holidays, spare time and leisure activities does not exist. They work to feed themselves and their families, in feudal societies, and the concept of going fishing just for the fun of it, is utterly ridiculous. The sort of coarsefishing tradition that exists in the UK, is the result of a long historic journey, starting with the with the aristocrasy, with plenty of time to pursue whatever they wanted. The industrial revolution created a large upperclass of industrialists and bankers, with time off and with money to spend. Who did what it took to resemble the nobles as best they could. And eventually, through unions and class struggle, a working class who could afford to buy gear, and had time off to go fishing.

None of these things happend in most of the countries the asian or african immigrants left. It's starting to happen now. When they are producing everything we consume. That will eventually leave them rich, and us poor. At least most of us.

When it comes to hostile remarks and comments at the bankside, that has to do with common decency. Or the lack of it. There has always been, and will always be, people who, for various reasons, don't know how to behave. Maybe some are racist, maybe some are just stupid. But angling as such is not racist. It's not antiracist either. It cannot be. It's just a way to spend your time.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason this sort of thread is usually stopped is because they usually deteriorate into b0llocks like this and some of the others on here.

I disagree with that, he has a point. It seems we have to hanker after everyones needs/wants but our own and in our own bloody country n'all !!

Status
Not open for further replies.