Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Steve King Guest

Hi - a little off topic, but maybe someone can help.

My brother has moved to a former farm house and there is a farm pond in the garden. The pond is around 30'long, 16' wide, the depth varies all over the place, but it is around 4' at its deepest point.

The surface is covered with a red leafed plant - it looks a bit like a succulent plant you would have on your rockery. The weed is so dense that there is no water visible!

My brother and I spent around 4 hours scooping out 20 wheelbarrows full of the stuff out. That made a lot of difference - there were several weed free areas and the weed itself was a lot thinner.

A couple of weeks later, the wretched weed has grown back thicker than ever.

As far as we know there are no fish in the pond, but it is rich in newts and dragon fly larvae. We don't want to wreck the ecology of the pond, but we'd like it to look more like a pond and less like a red quagmire!

I'm thinking along the lines of removing more of the weed and then partly draining the pond and refilling with fresh water as I reckon the water must be full of nutrients.

Any ideas anyone??

jason fisher Guest

I'm thinking along the lines of removing more of the weed and then partly draining the pond and refilling with fresh water as I reckon the water must be full of nutrients.

first idea good, second part no don't not ever at anytime, leave it to the rain, anything else and algae will go mad.
    have you got a photo of the plant, i'm curious it could be one which is pretty rare.

Steve King Guest

I don't have a photo of the plant, but I'll have a scout around on the net and see if I can identify it.

Wolfman Woody Guest

Yes, Steve, don't put tap water in. You'll ****** it completely. It'll probably go green.

Is the leaf furry and spongy?

The Digital Monkey Guest

Spray it with round-up.

There is some kind of weed killer available that you can put in the water that will not harm the other pond life that you have. I am not sure what it is called or where it can be obtained but I could find out for you if it would be of help to you

The Monk Guest

Steve this may not be practical but weed is fed by light, if you can put a large black plastic sheet over the top of the pond the weed will died off. It sounds as if the land is in the process of reclaiming it, basically thats what happens to a pond if its left long enough of course. In the old days they use to use Raglon, but it created all sort of ecological problems, just try blanking one area off at a time and see what happens, you also need to check out what the substrate material consistancy make up is, a rich soil substrate could attract the wrong type of plants, isthe pond in shade or in the open?

Herr General Swordsy Guest

the plant sounds like the floating American fern thingy thats recently been banned because it is so invasive, sorry cannot think of its name but stick to the physical removal of weed, i know its hard but think of all those little newts and dragon flies.

if you were to introduce some fish think about pur blood crucians, it sounds ideal for a small group

The Digital Monkey Guest

there is an aqutic weed spray dont no where to get it from but you need to be licenced to obtain it and use it.If you can do like the monk says and cover it it will kill of the weed.Some weeds the more you rake out the more they grow back.Or you can take the more exspensive way and hire a drott to dreadge it.

Steve King Guest

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've had no luck identifying the offending plant/weed on the net. If anyone has an idea of the culprit please email me (preferably with a pic). I'll also see if my brother is able to take a digital picture opf the weed so I can send it to you.

The plant floats is mainly green if you look at it by itself, but the leaves have red bits which make the whole pond look red when you see it.

Nick, the pond is perhaps a little too big to block out the light. The pond is in the open, but the East side has a little shade. The substrate is pure clay. We reckon the pond was formed by quarrying for the clay to make the bricks from which part of the house is built from.

Jeff, the leaves are not really furry, as I say it looks a bit like a succulent, but with a few roots dangling.

If its of any use, the previous owner of the house says that the pond used to have a bit of duck weed and silk weed previously = the red stuff suddenly apeared a few years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast