Dirty Rats ?

The bad one

Reaction score
Whilst very sad news for all who knew him and his family, hopefully some good will come out of this high profile death. That being, the Medical professionals will be more acutely aware of the dangers all water sports users face and when symptoms are present to them, that may look like the disease, they ask as the first question, "Do you do any activities/work around water?" Rather than just send the person away saying you've got flu.

Recently, I'd been doing some research work in Poland in their National Forest and got bitten on my leg by a deer tick, which I managed to get out head and all. Felt a bit pooy when I got back, so went to the Witch Doctor, who was quite dismissive about it. Err sorry, I take it you know what they carry do you? So best if you send me for some blood tests don't you think?
Thankfully they came back negative but voodoo man wouldn't have sent me for them without my insistence.

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
The thinking over here seems to be not to worry about a tick-bite unless a red ring develops around the site. This strikes me as a touch too late!

The vets around here seem better aware of the danger of Lyme's Disease than the doctors do.

But at least one is aware one has been bitten, with Weil's Disease you don't have the that knowledge of possible infection.

I think that anyone involved in watersports needs to think in a pro-active way. If you feel ill you should ask for a bloodtest. It might seem over the top, your GP might baulk, but Weils Disease is deadly in a very short space of time.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Many years ago, fishing a match at Winthorpe, anglers started scattering and running, a Rat colony was on the move. They came over the bank and into the field behind, the grass and vegetation were flattened in a swathe about four foot wide, thousands of Rats like a moving carpet of fur, it really must be phenomenal the number of Rats that inhabit the waters edge.

mikewilson

Reaction score
..........and the situation can only get worse with the current rubbish collection policy. When kids die just playing in their garden action might get taken. Bit like the urban fox.

Mike

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I hate these beasts,always carry alcohol gel for my hands.
Some people have the capacity just to sit with them ,me I am a nervous wreck .Mouses ok but rat pee is deadly .

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
A tragedy for Andy and great sadness for his family and friends.

This shows though what a dangerous disease leptospirosis is and we've been banging on about here on FM for years now. I just hope that most of you out there are getting the message and taking some hand gel cleaner with you and using it after your hands have been in the water!

It's so cheap and easily carried, your life just isn't worth it!

tortoise100

Reaction score
I was a drainage engineer for over 5 years and was given a credit card size hard leaflet to carry the purpose being that I had to hand it to a doctor should I ever get bad flu symtoms, thing is when you work with drains you end up with a supper imune system and don't often get very ill.

I would be in cantact with rats fairly regularlly but as far as I am aware the risks are very small you do actually have to have an open wound that you then touch on something that has been ****** on by mr roland.

Maybe these cards should come with your liecence or the info should be printed on the back of the existing licence it's all because the doctors don't know about it.

I did know someone who's friend died from this, aparently you can go black all over .This friend of mine still didn't wear gloves and would smoke dirty roll ups but then he did have a glass eye and didn't wear saftey goggles when grinding so not the best example of health and saftey.

Lark

Reaction score
Back in my more active days with Intertype, the mid 80’s, we were highlighting this serious problem to members, particularly at Taplow pit. The car-park end had become a bit of a rats playground and every chance we got we’d mention the potential of Weil’s disease to members that we came across.
In the light of the recent tragedy of Andy Holmes’s death I don’t mean this post to sound facetious, but this story gets a bit ‘Benny Hill’ - but there is a serious point (and I promise that this happened!)
I was fishing the pit mid-week and, not unusually, had the place to myself. A car pulled into the car-park and two young ladies got out carrying bundles that turned out to be towels and clothing. They walked to the water’s edge, promptly disrobed into swimsuits and began swimming.
I thought it my duty to walk around the pit and have a word. As they came back out of the water, saw me standing there, an Adonis in wellies and a stupid hat, I expected them to either scream for the police or start throwing rocks at me. As it turned out they were very relaxed and just said hello. I explained who I was and they told me in impeccable English that they were Dutch nurses working at a local private clinic. I explained the situation to them regarding the Weil’s disease potential and was amazed that they had no idea what I was talking about – never even heard of the condition. I think they thought I was winding them up at first, but eventually realised it was genuine.
I don’t feel that attitudes towards this condition have changed that much since that time 25 years ago.
I’ve been carrying antiseptic handwash in all my rucksacks, carryalls, seatbox etc for a long time now, to ensure I’ve always got some. More importantly than that is the fact that I use them!
They cost about 50p a go in Savers or Tesco.
I think long-stay anglers are much savvier regarding this and their well-being in general and have been for a while. The general angling populace, younger ones especially, seem to be lacking in awareness.

Whinge over.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Maybe these cards should come with your liecence or the info should be printed on the back of the existing licence it's all because the doctors don't know about it.
There should be wider publicity about it particularly amongst anglers, any help from the EA would be a great help.

Graham wrote this piece over five years ago when carp angler Ken Townley caught the disease. Ken said that he was in hospital with chronic flu symptoms and getting worse by the day. It was only when a doctor came on his rounds askign how he was and Ken said "He'd rather be on the bank fishing." that the doctor then ordered fresh blood tests for lepto.

PS: for those of you who would not know, Ken made a full recovery and told me that his wife worked in a dental surgery and gets loads of hang gel.

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
Just seen them today hand gel packets of four from 99p stores best price I have seen .

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Well what about the EA steping in here, never have i ever seen a sign on any water river or otherwise warning of this filthy desease, yet they put up signes of deep water no swiming , or private fishing signs , or those caught without a rod licence will be fined. Come on EA spend some of that cash you take of us poor fisherfolk.Until then i,m afraid its hygene gel for me.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
"PS: for those of you who would not know, Ken made a full recovery and told me that his wife worked in a dental surgery and gets loads of hang gel."

Not anymore she won't, you've just grassed her up, or ratted her out, if you prefer.

Ah! I didn't say she was nicking it, just that she 'gets' it - for the surgery see! :D :p She could have told him about it though. :D :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Its tragic for this chaps family but perhpas it takes the death of a personality to bring this disease to the publics attention........and more importantly to the attention of those involved in water sports or similar....

This subject has been discussed many times on FM but I get the feeling some fishermen still don't take it seriously-either that or they just don't have the knowledge.......

IMO I suggest Anglers Trust/Environment Agency could take this up in an attempt to make fishermen etc more aware........it may not reach everyone,and some will always ignore sound advice but I suggest we could do more!!

So many products available for not too much money-I use Boots or Superdrug gel-so it won't break the bank!!!

BUY SOME TOMORROW!!!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've just read through the NHS link that Fred Bonney posted earlier in the thread.

It's not surprising that so many cases go undiagnosed, the NHS says that there are only around 40 cases in the UK each year. The chances are that the doctor has never seen a case first hand and as not all cases proceed to the more advanced stage then many cases probably remain undiagnosed as Weil's Disease.

While I don't wish to seem blase about a potentially dangerous disease we have to keep a sense of perspective. It would seem that less than a handful of people have died of this disease over the last 14 years, I would imagine far more are killed each year by being swept off rocks or of heart failure while lugging their gear to the river bank.

I am also surprised that there is no vaccination available for people who may come into contact with the disease. I know there is for dogs, as I had my Doberman vaccinated many years ago.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Everybody who fishes should have a terrier ,or ferrets like me and monk.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There would be a lot less rats on the riverbank if the public stopped feeding the poxy swans and ducks. Some sensible countries don't allow feeding of wildlife like this. Several places I know have a lot of rats (plus seagulls) due to the amount of bread laying around.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m one of those people who read these stories and think to myself,i should really carry some gel or antibacterial type wipes when fishing.The truth of the matter is,that i never bother.
I was out lure fishing last sunday and of course i was handling wet lures etc... and when it came to a cup of tea and sandwich time,i just wiped my hands on my trousers to dry them and thought thats good enough !!!